Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default JELLY ROLL RUG -- PLEASE HELP

My jelly roll rug is bowing on the ends. I've tried to be very careful not to pull or force anything as I'm sewing but about 5 rows out it started bowing. I thought I could correct by making it very loose, but that doesn't work either. Anyone successfully sewed one of these that can help? Do I just rip it all back to where it was ok and try something else? What can I do for next time if this is a loss?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: JELLY ROLL RUG -- PLEASE HELP

I have not made one, so I am no help, but I am sure someone will stop in and help.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Heather

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think to avoid the bowing you need to sew from opposite ends, alternating as you go along.

Jeannette

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I looked at the link and also called my LQS. I left a comment on feedback on the link. Basically I used the widest stitch width on my machine and pressed with Best Press after every 2 rows.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Domestic has a jelly roll rug tutorial. He gives lots of hints about the bowing. Since I wasn't planning on making one, I didn't file any of those tidbits in my brain.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	156292Mine bowed on the ends also. Two tips I found AFTER I made mind is 1. Steam press it flat every few rounds. 2. Use a walking foot machine. I did neither and mine is bowing. I put weight on it for a day and got it mostly flat. I have the curled up edge under the toekick by my sink, so it is only somewhat annoying. I want to try some more and will use my machine with the walking foot on the next one.
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; December 6th, 2018 at 01:50 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mine bowed as well, but when it washed that went away. I stitched my batting to my strips down the middle and saw if you stitched closer to the edge, the rug would ease better. Try easing those last few laps. I tore my rug apart 3 times before I got it right. And I now walk upon an expensive homemade rug.
    Oh and I used batting strips and here the bosal foam is better for bowling reasons.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

My only tip is to keep it as flat as possible while stitching. One tip I read was to use boxes or books or anything to get a level area around your machine. I am fortunate and have my machine in a cabinet that let the rung lay flat while stitching. Also around those first curves, go slow and turn every few stitches to make the ease. If it is curling now, stop and rip out those stitches until you get it flat and start again. They won't go away on their own.
    Here is a picture of the one I made: I cut strips from a bargain fabric I had acquired when Hancocks closed and used the Bosal batting cut for jelly roll rugs. I am pleased with it and it lives next to my side of the bed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	156300