Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rotary cutter blades

Has anyone ever used Somolux blades? I checked on Amazon to order new blades and saw these were about 1/2 the price of the Olfa blades.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rotary cutter blades

Sorry, I haven't used them. Good luck! There is a lot of people here so you might luck out :-)

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried those so I read the reviews on amazon, concentrating on the 1 and 2 star. I read the very same complaint that I experienced when I bought Aurora Arts blades for my 60 mm cutter. Basically 4 out of 5 blades were not usable from the very first cut. I handle blades properly and I use a magnetic lifter, so the blade edge isn't touched until I cut. They skip about 1/4" every 6 inches or so. Unusable. There is a reason why Olfa blades are expensive, and it's because they are quality products imo. So many of these cheapies were not usable for fabric that the cost was actually far more per blade than Olfa branded blades. I'm done experimenting to "save". Didn't work for me.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Keep looking. I found Olfa blades in 10 packs are pretty reasonable. The off brands are NOT unable. Just ask me how I know.

5. Thanks 201 Treadler thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I checked my ordering history at Amazon & browsed their rotary cutter blades. It looks like the best buy for quality Olfa blades is the 10 pack for $20.66. I would not purchase an off-brand.

7. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just went on ebay and found a person with new olfa's in package lot of 20 for $37. These are 45 mm. I purchased a huge lot on ebay of 10 packages of 5 Olfa's for 60 mm for $40 last spring. Deals are out there.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I have found its better to buy name brand blades.
    Off brands do not work in my experience.
    Try JoAnns when they have coupons available.
    I have also bought them from
    Missouri Star Quilt Company during a daily special.
    I purchased during the sale Olfa/5 pkg./59% off.
    Happy Quilting.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I recently ordered these for $6.98. They’re a little more expensive now, but still a good deal.
    Fiskars 95287097J Rotary Cutter Replacement Blades, 45mm , 5 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B7MUFK..._lVbcCb45B2P7M

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried a few off-brands and so far I've not restocked any of those. That doesn't mean I won't try again if the price is right. You never know- you might get lucky, but it's unlikely. Olfa has a great blade and I will buy again when in need. I also have good results from Fiskar blades and dollar-wise it's a better deal for me. A guy at guild runs a sharpening business and claims Fiskars are crap. He's wrong.

Now I'm gonna tell you what I've done to extend the life of blades considerably. I switched to a 28mm cutter, and from an ergo safety handle to a stick. I get several times the life out of 28mm blades over 45's. Here's why. In all fabric cutting your blade is in contact with the edge of your ruler. The smaller blades contact the ruler at a different angle, and a fatter portion of the blade, and is not prone to "climb" the ruler. The smaller blade provides better protection of the cutting edge.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

12. Thanks tamsterg7, 201 Treadler thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I use olfa blades but also use this, https://www.amazon.com/Quilting-Bear...lade+sharpener
    to extend the blades usage, have to be careful and use the magnet, but does seem to work.
    seems the sellers in UK perhaps M* have something similar?