Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pineapple Log Cabin and Bargello Quilts

Well, I've done it . Never for a second considered making this design of quilt but, having seen Jenny's infectious tutorial on the Pineapple Log Cabin, I ordered the tool. Have made regular log cabins including one king size for #2 son's wedding quilt (in his choice of black and mango, named Cabins Around the World) but always balked at the pineapple version.

This ruler seems to make it a breeze so am very excited to receive it and just get going - winter in a small village in the hills, perfect time for quilt making. It will have to wait until after Christmas anyway as my sewing area will become our grandchildren's bedroom for two weeks .

I'd like to make an album on this site but am unable to download/upload any photos, including the king size Bargello quilt made for my husband following a trip to Lancaster County in 2003. Another design I vowed never even considering but he saw an example and ..... that was it. So I made one in various shades of navy and teal blue with a flash of Schiaparelli pink. The batting is wool so it's v-e-r-y warm and extremely heavy; it pins us to the mattress. Fabrics bought at The Old Country Store in Intercourse. I almost fainted after walking in and seeing all those bolts of wonderful fabrics. Oh my gosh, had to leave momentarily to go outside for some deep breaths of air. Have entitled the quilt "Call My Bluff" after saying "Ok. You buy the book, I'll make the quilt." So he did. What could I do but make good my promise?

Am so enjoying this site.
    Last edited by NancyR; November 29th, 2018 at 05:47 AM.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pineapple Log Cabin and Bargello Quilts

welcome to the forum
    am also from UK further up north,
    photo wise I use the photos program which came in last update, in the 3 dots right side top of photo program you can resize,
    firstly make a copy then resize to either 2mp, or the smaller one save.
    in forum go to my album, upload press browse, and then opens a smaller window click on your photo then press upload which is to the bottom right under browse.
    hope this helps, would love to see what you have been making.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome from New Jersey! I just love Lancaster for most of my quilting fabric. If you Ever get back to Lancaster County, do visit Burkholders! Then, you will Really be blown away! Can't wait to see your pictures.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Pineapple Log Cabin and Bargello Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by amartin24 View Post
    Hello and welcome from New Jersey! I just love Lancaster for most of my quilting fabric. If you Ever get back to Lancaster County, do visit Burkholders! Then, you will Really be blown away! Can't wait to see your pictures.
    Thank you both . Up to my ears in various family preparations currently but will have a look at the suggested photo uploading in January likely.

This morning, tried out a pineapple block just using a regular 3" x 15" ruler. It was ok although my husband came into my sewing area and distracted me. Which was nice but meant a lot of unpicking as I added the coloured corner pieces to the sides with the background strips.

Loathe unpicking.

Would love a return visit to Lancaster County and thank you for the recommendation - I'll bring an empty suitcase.

New Jersey. We watched a Gordon Ramsay's Nightmare's USA where he'd gone into Flamangoes to turn it around. Adele, the owner, didn't care for the changes at all and changed most of it back although I think they kept the new name - The Junction (next to a rail track).
    Last edited by NancyR; November 30th, 2018 at 07:04 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome from Canada.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

We LOVED Canada. Landed in Calgary (wonderful flying over Greenland and Nova Scotia) - spent the night in the Fairmont (fabulous, apart from trains on the Canadian Pacific railroad - no matter, it was all part of the experience) - collected a hire car before driving up one side of the Canadian Rockies, changing our watches at the top, then driving down the other side. Oh My Gosh. Every which way was WOW; wonderful scenery. We stayed in various Inns during the journey before arriving in Vancouver and taking the ferry over to the island for a short stay before flying home.

Three wonderful weeks. Would teurn in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by NancyR; November 30th, 2018 at 07:11 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from sunny Florida! It might be sunny, but boy it's cold this morning! Should warm up nicely this afternoon though.

Your quilts sound lovely. I can't wait to see pictures!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

8. Thanks NancyR thanked for this post
    UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KPH View Post
    Welcome from sunny Florida! It might be sunny, but boy it's cold this morning! Should warm up nicely this afternoon though.

Your quilts sound lovely. I can't wait to see pictures!
    Thank you from Sunny Florida - hideous weather here. Torrential rain from the back end of some storm or other. But it's December in England - we can expect nothing less so not disappointed .

Have tried several ways to upload photos but having no luck, I'm afraid.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NancyR View Post
    We LOVED Canada. Landed in Calgary (wonderful flying over Greenland and Nova Scotia) - spent the night in the Fairmont (fabulous, apart from trains on the Canadian Pacific railroad - no matter, it was all part of the experience) - collected a hire car before driving up one side of the Canadian Rockies, changing our watches at the top, then driving down the other side. Oh My Gosh. Every which way was WOW; wonderful scenery. We stayed in various Inns during the journey before arriving in Vancouver and taking the ferry over to the island for a short stay before flying home.

Three wonderful weeks. Would teurn in a heartbeat.
    I guess you flew right over me on the prairies Nancy. I'm in Saskatchewan.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Very likely. But I was asleep most of the time as it was a night time flight - I do remember a wonderful horseshoe shaped glacier on Greenland though. I only know British Columbia but will go look on the map for Saskatchewan. Sounds a First Nation name. Is it?