Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Time Using Template--I ruined it!

I purchased a tumbler template that I saw on one of Jenny's videos, making a simple tumbler quilt using charms....this is the first time I ever purchased a template...I was so excited!

Well, the template does fit on the charm perfectly, but as I was cutting cutting cutting, I kept hitting the lower corners of the template...after a couple of cuts, I noticed that the corners were chopped off!

I am guessing that I should have slowed down a bit but it seems like that would defeat the purpose of the template...

I think if I were to design the template, I would make it a bit longer to hang over the edge of the charm square, maybe with a line to line it up to the bottom...that way, the corners would not be in the strike zone. Even an 1/8 inch would protect the corner...does that make sense?

Is there a way to repair this? I can still use it to cut the other two charm packs I need, but I am going to have to slide the template down to get the corner cut .

I think I might just stick to my regular rulers...oh, well...I love trying out new products even if they don't quite work for me!

Any suggestions on how to use templates would be greatly appreciated!

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: First Time Using Template--I ruined it!

Well, I totally agree with YOU... I had the same problem/s with templates. They never seem to work as slick as advertised and I await some suggestions/answers, too.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am so glad to know I'm not the only one that this happens to. I now try to make sure I have my blade against the edge of the template before I start cutting but I still hit the corner sometimes. I got an AccuQuilt Go cutter for my birthday so I might just put the money into dies for that.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The accuquilt dye for tumbler is excellent...love it

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I have the tumbler template and only cut 3-4 pieces at a time and started with mt blade at the top versus the bottom. I guess the potential to cut myself is greater that way and I slowed down enough to not nick the corners.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I've been dying to try a Go cutter, but it seems like an awful lot of waste when you use yardage. Can you use pre-cuts with it?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

If you use a larger rotary cutter, the blade will span the gap from the edge of the template to the edge of the fabric. And like earlier stated, start at the edge that is on the edge of the fabric. That should take care of the problem, and you should be able to continue using your template.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Staying directly on top of the piece that you are cutting.... and I do mean eyes directly over the pieces that you are cutting really do help. I have never cut a template ever. Not that I won't in the future. I am just saying that accuracy is dependent upon staying in direct contact with your cutting line. Sounds like you need to purchase a new template. I am sure that you are very accurate in your cutting techniques. I would just purchase a new one and let it go.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

this sounds so frustrating;I think that I would just get another template, use a smaller rotary blade and go slow when I cut. Good luck with this.
    I am such a material girl!!!!! Nena

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You must be doing something different than I do. I've never had an issue with cutting a template either. You have to be pressing really hard to cut into an acrylic template, maybe put a new blade in your rotary cutter so you don't press so hard?
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.