Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Raw edge applique

I have never done raw edge applique. Love Love Rob Appell's "paint drip" tutorial. My question
    How will this quilt wash? what about fraying with all of those edges?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Raw edge applique

I have done this technique in the past with fusibles and with enough washings, the edges will fray a bit. If there is a fusible out there that won't with repeated washings, I haven't found it. I like this technique more for wall hangings that either won't get washed or I can gently hand wash easily if needed.

Having said that, I do have a beloved ten year old maple leaf quilt that I used this raw edge technique for the leaf stems, and while they are fraying a bit, it doesn't really bother me all that much. But if I'm gifting a quilt, I don't want this to happen and will use a different technique. And also consider that some quilts will actually look good with a bit of a frayed edge around the applique shape. So it comes down to personal preference, what will and won't bother you and what look you are going for. Whew! Thanks goodness there are a lot of applique options out there.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

3. Thanks 201 Treadler, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I pretty much do raw edge applique for any that I do. Frankly most of my quilts are for kids and I think it gives it a little more texture if there is slight fraying around the edges. But it really is a personal preference.
    Debbie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just had a thought. If you satin stitch the edges it won't fray no matter how many times you wash it. However, I was unpleasantly surprised how long it took to do a satin stitch and I consider myself a fairly patient person.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried running a small bead of "Fray Check" along the edges of applique I did not want to fray, so far it has worked. It is on a table runner I made for kids birthdays so it is not used often but it has been washed after each use, 3 years 3-4 used a year and all is fine.

Beth
    Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I use raw-edge applique often. My experience is to either satin-stitch or use the applique stitch over the edges. Either works well, and actually doesn't take that much time. Another method is to utilize any of the embroidery stitches your machine offers. Makes a really interesting piece.
    Just love everyone. I'll sort them out later. -God