Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ironing station placement

I am at beginning stage of reorganization of my guest bedroom/quilting room. I have decided to buy a futon and get rid of bed and thus gain more space. I am looking at sewing table furniture, but that is another post. This post is where and what do you use for ironing station?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ironing station placement

If you have the room a dresser works great! Have a piece of plywood cut the same size as the top and cover with batting and fabric. I prefer to use the silver quilted "utility" fabric that is available at JoAnn's. The drawers can be used for storage.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

l use a long conference table as my sewing table. I have a piece of counter top the size of a double sink (it's the piece that was cut out) covered with layers of flannel and a cotton fabric on the table to the right of my machine. I roll my sewing chair between the machine and the ironing board.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

4. Thanks Old Newbie, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I use a section of my old kitchen cabinets, the height is perfect for me, has drawers for storage and easy to cover with fabric and batting. I have it placed a bit away from my sewing station so it forces me to get up and move a bit-I tend to sew for hours at a time and need to move and stretch every once in awhile.

Beth
    Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

6. Thanks Old Newbie, Kgrammiecaz, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astatoo View Post
    I use a section of my old kitchen cabinets, the height is perfect for me, has drawers for storage and easy to cover with fabric and batting. I have it placed a bit away from my sewing station so it forces me to get up and move a bit-I tend to sew for hours at a time and need to move and stretch every once in awhile.
    Moving is important! We get so engrossed in what we are sewing, we neglect to get up and move a bit. Great point! PS don't forget the water! stay hydrated too!
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

8. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh these are great ideas. I would love to have the room to set up a dresser in my sewing room. My dd bought me a vintage sewing machine that is in a cabinet, so once I got that set up it took up the only spare space I had. My regular sewing machine sits on a desk in the corner. The other corner holds a waist high cutting table. I just have a standard size ironing board that is set up all the time. I also have a card table. Originally I intended that to be just temporary, but I took it up and down out of the attic so many times I decided to just keep it set up permanently in the sewing room. It is so handy for laying out blocks or setting aside yardage since I cut as I go and usually have to pull out the same fabric to cut more pieces. It's not my dream sewing room but is functional.

10. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Guest Bedroom? Not in my sewing room, LOL. If it's only for a night or two, occasionally, I do a blow-up anywhere but the sewing room (LR, DR, garage, etc.) If I had frequent guests I don't want to make it too convenient, certainly to the point that it messes with the sewing space. They gotta leave sometime. Might as well be sooner than later. If I had a wife, my tune might have to change, and I 'd explore the murphy bed and use the bottom, in the closed position, for a design wall.

My ironing area is a small dresser (18x60x36h) from Goodwill for $15. Cover is Formica covered plywood, with a pointy end for garments and such. Cover is heavy denim backed by a towel. Them 9 drawers hold/hide a lot of stuff.
    No- I'm not the test dummy for your dog's behavioral training class.

12. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is real simple. I use a folding table rather like a tv tray but its a hard plastic ( inexpensive from Walmart ) I have a piece of wood that I have covered with the gray quilted fabric and batting and I lay it on top of the table, kind of like what dwil23 is describing. This is fine to put beside you while you are sewing. The downside of my table is that it is really hard to iron large quilt tops on and I have to bend over too much. I don't have the room for a large ironing board. I guess it really depends on how much room you have.

14. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

For block ironing I have a microwave cart with a piece of plywood wrapped in an old towel and slid into an old pillowcase. I need to make a hanger for my iron on the side. This sits to the right of my machine table.

I don't have a good place to iron quilt tops or large pieces of fabric......yet.

16. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I knew you would have good ideas.