Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My first Quilt and time to do free motion quilting! Questions

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1782 (2).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	156559
    a picture explains better than I can but as long as there is enough slack t enable quilt movement under needle and inch or 2 in all directions your ready to free motion, then stop needle down re arrange quilt to stop drag on next section and go again.
    my right hand goes on top but under the folded quilt on right
    the whites an free motion grip, saves my hands cramping,
    hope this helps

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Babs quilts View Post
    Sounds like an all around rough go. (Hugs)

I picked up "machingers" gloves to help me grip my quilts. (Joanns carries them)
    My machine sits high too, I switched to a bar stool to boost me up. It made a world of difference.
    Yes every time anything snags it's very frustrating and throws EVERYTHING out of whack. I still battle that. I watch where the quilt is headed and try to fluff it often to keep it from catching.

Keep calm, move slower, fluff often, and remember this is supposed to be fun.

I really hope this helps in some way.
    Yes, I already have the gloves. And I already do what your saying with the quilt but something else is wrong. Not sure why its not moving. I mean at all. I have to figure it out. I bought some of that silicone spray. I just have to wait for it to come in. I will see if that helps some. I wish I could do something about the edges of the box I made and that mat I made for the table. The mat I bought actually snags easily on the edges where I cut it. I'm not sure there is anything I can do about that. I might have to scrap the whole table and redo the whole thing with something different and I would love to have a bar chair! I would definitely benefit from that. I am still too high even at my table. Trying to find something that would be comfortable that I could put on it.

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, yeah I heard a couple of people talk about using a cross stitch hoop. At least the one I have I always used for cross stitching. So I went and got that out and tried to insert it under my needle. What the heck! I had to start laughing. Why would I even of thought that would have fit under there! How on earth do you get a fabric hoop under your sewing needle?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you might need to bite the bullet and invest in an extension table that would be custom fit for your machine. It's absolutely necessary to have a smooth surface over which your quilt sandwich glides. The extension tables have rounded edges--nothing on which to snag. Are you using a Supreme Slider? That helps. Also, wax your quilting surface. I use Turtle Wax car wax, which is safe to use on the extension tables. It also helps to have another table, or even an ironing board, next to your quilting table on which to rest the sandwich. Make sure no part of your quilt hands down over the edges. It's important to hold it up so there won't be drag.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

How on earth do you get a fabric hoop under your sewing needle?
    remove the needle and foot.
    I used mine upside down the gripped fabric was closer to the bed of machine if that makes sense.
    rather than the cross stitch way of fabric close to you at top