Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My first Quilt and time to do free motion quilting! Questions

Hello Quilters,
    No one has any advise on Superior thread? I have it in my shopping cart ready to purchase but I am nervous. I need to get going on this last part of my quilt. I really would like someone to tell me that it's either pretty good or a no no. I got the feeling from what I have read that it is up there with Aurifil? Please Help!?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Superior is used by Angela Walters, who is an expert in her field. Google her and you will find videos with her discussing her thread preferences.
    Michele

To the world you may be one person. But to one person you may be the world.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Eascusa ~ I just revisited this thread & realized you'd asked a question about the serpentine stitch. This is a curvy stitch on my machine, which I elongate to use as a basting stitch for the perimeter of the quilt. The width is 4.0 so it just barely catches the edge of the sandwiched quilt. I do this to better secure the sandwich prior to doing any FMQ. As you quilt the sandwich & FMQ near the edges, sometimes it's necessary to take out some of those stitches to have things lay smoothly with no puckers.

RE: Superior thread - I have used this for many years. They sell both cotton & polyester threads. This past year, I've switched mostly to Glide thread, which is a 40 wt. trilobal polyester thread. I buy it on line or from a vendor at a quilt show. My Baby Lock Tiara seems to like the Glide better than the Superior or Signature cotton threads. Angela Walters uses a lot of Aurifi thread, too. One of her quotes is: "Threads are my meds."

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    Eascusa ~ I just revisited this thread & realized you'd asked a question about the serpentine stitch. This is a curvy stitch on my machine, which I elongate to use as a basting stitch for the perimeter of the quilt. The width is 4.0 so it just barely catches the edge of the sandwiched quilt. I do this to better secure the sandwich prior to doing any FMQ. As you quilt the sandwich & FMQ near the edges, sometimes it's necessary to take out some of those stitches to have things lay smoothly with no puckers.

RE: Superior thread - I have used this for many years. They sell both cotton & polyester threads. This past year, I've switched mostly to Glide thread, which is a 40 wt. trilobal polyester thread. I buy it on line or from a vendor at a quilt show. My Baby Lock Tiara seems to like the Glide better than the Superior or Signature cotton threads. Angela Walters uses a lot of Aurifi thread, too. One of her quotes is: "Threads are my meds."
    What is the difference between cotton threads and polyester threads. I was reading that cotton is usually preferred with Quilters but I can have that wrong. And what is the difference between 40 or 50 wt.? Thanks for the post!

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

First... a thumbs up for Superior Threads. I, and I think a whole lot of others here use Superior in some combo. For piecing I use Aurifil 50wt Mako cotton in the top, and Superior Bottom Line (60 wt. poly) in the bobbin. It's a combo I settled in on and works well. Really, really flat seams, and it's very clean. I use other Superior thread as well, and they work good. I don't do a lot of quilting. Mostly straight line stuff, and for the most part use the same thread I pieced with. If I want all stitching hidden I use Mono-Poly. You gotta try as many as you can until you like what you see.

Difference between 40-50-60 wt? The higher the number, the thinner the thread. Doesn't mean however that in the same weight, all manufacturers thead will be the same thickness, or act the same o your quilt. That's why when many of us find a combo we like, we tend to stick to it.

Cotton vs polyester? Can o' worms here. Lots of opinions on what to use. I'm new enough at my recent sewing adventure, that the thread technology is very good- so much better than when most people started. Therefore, I think that the performance difference. of cotton and poly thread is unnoticeable. In the old days the poly was reported to cut a quilt apart. Me thinks it's more a combination of poor thread, lousy fabric, and inadequate piecing technique. The "fors" for sticking with cotton include shrinkage during washing, so it's the same rate as the top. These days, the good cotton threads shrink very little, if any.

Thread economy- There is no economy in cheap thread. More maintenance- poor performance. I haven't tried many threads because I followed the advice of others and arrived pretty quickly at what I like best for my needs. The first time I bought a spool of Aurifil, I almost choked. It was like eleven bucks. Jeez, I get thread at Walmart for $2.47. I didn't really think about the cost per yard, but the Aurifil is much less, and performs better for me. I still use the Coats thread- mainly for the top-stitching on clothing. I like the looks there, but don't use it for general construction.

There is good info on You-tube on thread. I kinda like Leahs Day's outlook on modern myths in quilting.
    You know you're gettin' old when your favorite position is the fetal position.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanquilts View Post
    First... a thumbs up for Superior Threads. I, and I think a whole lot of others here use Superior in some combo. For piecing I use Aurifil 50wt Mako cotton in the top, and Superior Bottom Line (60 wt. poly) in the bobbin.

Wow, very informative, thank you!

I didn't realize thread was so complicated. It didn't even occur to me to use the Aurifil or whatever quilting thread you might have on the actual piecing of the quilt! Was I suppose to? I used regular thread. Coats I believe. I didn't read that anywhere in the blogs or Quliting pages. I read just about using it for the top. At least that is what it sounded like to me from what I can remember. Plus, like you said it's so darn expensive. I would go broke! I thought all quilting thread was going to be like between 10 and 25 dollars because that is what I looked up in the beginning. And that was because that is what every one recommended. Now it's more like $13.00 at the cheapest for Aurifil. Same with superior. And of course one won't complete the quilt so you will need to buy at least two. Yesterday was the first time I saw quilting thread for only a few bucks. I didn't even know that was out there but I am still going to go with Aurifil or superior. I trust in what other quliters say. They know what they are doing. And then having different thread strengths in your bobbin is something i didn't know either. I knew about doing different colors but not different widths or whatever. Why is that by the way? Is it because you don't want the thread on the back to stick out as much as the front or does that have nothing to do with it?

The "fors" for sticking with cotton include shrinkage during washing, so it's the same rate as the top. These days, the good cotton threads shrink very little, if any.

This is very interesting. I will remember this.

The first time I bought a spool of Aurifil, I almost choked. It was like eleven bucks. Jeez, I get thread at Walmart for $2.47. I didn't really think about the cost per yard, but the Aurifil is much less, and performs better for me. I still use the Coats thread- mainly for the top-stitching on clothing. I like the looks there, but don't use it for general construction.

You said that other quilting thread from Walmart was actually cheaper? I can't remember how much is on a regular spool of thread like coats. I better go look and pay more attention. What is the difference between Walmart thread and Aurifil or Superior?

There is good info on You-tube on thread. I kinda like Leahs Day's outlook on modern myths in quilting.

I love Leah Day. I have seen a lot of her videos now and that is where I got a lot of my info too.
    Thanks for the information. Have a good day.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about the wording on the cost comparison. Aurifil is less than Coats from Walmart. Sewing Machines Plus has it @$8.99 at the moment. Cost per yd for Aurifil= .006 cents (1425 yard spool). Coats at Walmart is $2.47 for a 220 yd. spool. That's .011 cents/yd.

There's more than one quilt in a 1425 yd. spool. I do tops for our guilds charity thing, and the cost doesn't even matter. They aren't huge, nor particularly complex but I get 3-5 quilts per spool. Match it with some Bottom Line in the bobbin and you'll less bobbin winding/changing.

Threads is not really all that complicated, but I can see when one is new it can be a bit intimidating. Been there-done that. A couple months from now you'll wonder what the big deal is. Happy quilting.
    You know you're gettin' old when your favorite position is the fetal position.