Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frog Eye Salad

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frog Eye Salad

Since Babs quilts mentioned frog eye salad, many here have expressed curiosity about it. It's one of my favorites. Even my son-in-law asks for it, and he doesn't even like fruit salad. Here is my version. It makes a HUGE amount, so it's a good thing to bring to a pot luck.

Frog Eye Salad

1 cup white sugar
    2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt (optional; I don't use it)
    1-3/4 cups unsweetened pineapple juice (from the canned pineapple)
    2 eggs, beaten
    3 quarts water
    1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 16-ounce package Acini de Pepe pasta
    3 11-ounce cans mandarin oranges, drained
    2 20-ounce cans pineapple chunks or pineapple tidbits packed in juice (not heavy syrup), drained -- save the juice
    1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple packed in juice (not heavy syrup), drained -- save the juice
    1 8-ounce container frozen whipped topping, thawed
    1 cup miniature marshmallows (see cook's note)
    1 cup shredded coconut (optional)

Drain all three cans of pineapple, reserving juice. Use 1-3/4 cup for this recipe and drink the rest (perhaps a pina colada for the cook?). Put the drained pineapple (chunks or tidbits and crushed) in a very large bowl and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk two eggs. Set this bowl next to your cooktop. In a saucepan, stir together white sugar, all-purpose flour, and salt (if using). Add 1-3/4 cups pineapple juice and bring to a full boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir about 1/2 cup of the hot mixture into the beaten eggs (prevents curdling), then add the egg mixture to the pineapple juice mixture and bring to a boil again, stirring constantly. This will be like a pudding. Cool to room temperature while you prepare the rest of the salad, stirring occasionally. You can speed up the cooling by placing the pan in an ice water bath.

Bring 3 quarts water and the vegetable oil to a boil; cook acini de pepe pasta as directed on package. While the pasta is cooking, drain the mandarin oranges and add to the drained pineapple. When the pasta is cooked, drain it and rinse with cold water; drain well. Add the drained pasta to the bowl of fruit. Add shredded coconut if desired. Stir to combine.

Add thawed whipped topping to cooled pineapple juice mixture, stir until incorporated. Pour the pudding mixture over the pasta mixture and stir until combined. Refrigerate overnight. It will look soupy when you stir it together, but it firms up after a night in the fridge. Just before serving, stir in miniature marshmallows.

Cook's note: The marshmallows' texture becomes very soft and fluffy after sitting in the fridge overnight. Most people stir them into the salad just before serving. I happen to like the softened marshmallows, so I put them in when I make the salad. I usually throw in another handful of miniature marshmallows just before serving, so I get both soft and firmer textures.

2. Thanks Star lover, Babs quilts thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Frog Eye Salad

Never heard of it before ... sounds interesting. And at that quantity ideal for a pot luck!

4. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

That was not what I expected the recipe to be. We always called tapioca pudding frog eye salad.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of pasta is that? I can't find it. Is there a substitute or can you just leave it out altogether?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, you can't leave it out; the pasta is what makes the frog eyes! Acini di pepe (I think I mis-spelled it in my earlier post) is very tiny beads of pasta, like a strand of thin spaghetti that has been chopped into little pieces that are 1/16th of an inch or smaller. It is much smaller than orzo. I have never had trouble finding it at any grocery store and is made by many manufacturers. It may also be called pastina.

https://goo.gl/images/wwUxE9
    Last edited by MSN; November 23rd, 2018 at 12:08 AM. Reason: create link

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LLLinda View Post
    That was not what I expected the recipe to be. We always called tapioca pudding frog eye salad.
    When I was a child, my mother once made a custard pudding using large pearl tapioca. She told me they were fish eyes, and I wouldn't eat it. You must understand, my mother was a terrible cook, and for all I knew, the tapioca actually were fish eyes.

9. Thanks sydneybean, LLLinda thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds amazingly delicious, now I need to find an Army to help eat it. LOL I can't wait to give it a try.

11. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

WOW I hadn't seen people interested in it.
    Yes that's the recipe.
    It takes some serious math to cut the size down but can be done.

It's fun to serve in wine glasses with mandarin oranges arranged on top making a flower shape.

I have added chopped walnuts for a yummy crunch too.

13. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting recipe. I had to look further and there are some Youtube videos on it.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...Frog+Eye+Salad

Lorie

15. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

@MSN your sounds very interesting.. It will be pleasure to try it!

17. Thanks MSN thanked for this post