Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's your family's Must Have dish for Thanksgiving Dinner?

auntstuff, Lots of times, our black olives didn't make it to the table either. (or not many of them). I have such wonderful memories of grandkids sneaking them...I never minded. Their parents always tried to discourage, but I had a "blind eye." )
    Last edited by cv quilter; November 21st, 2018 at 08:25 PM.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My family requires my deviled eggs. I need to cook at least 18 eggs to get 36 halves for there to be enough. when we get down to the last lil devil, there will be at least two, sometimes three of my sons standing nose to nose arguing over who gets the last egg. This allows for someone else to slip their hand in and steal it away. It became our family tradition 11 years ago and is still alive. Then the homemade noodles and my apple pie are musts. I make seven pies so all five sons can take one home with him. I almost forgot our celebatory olive tray. No holiday meal is complete with out it.
    Did I miss what is in the frog eye salad? I'm dying to know....
    Theda

Wouldn't it be great if we could put ourselves in the dryer for 10 minutes and come out wrinkle-free and three sizes smaller?

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Necchi" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010.

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I smiled remembering putting black olives on my fingers. I think all kids do that! One year, my aunt set the relish tray out on the table, then went back in the kitchen to tend to the turkey and side dishes. We kids knew we were not welcome in the kitchen, so we were playing out in the dining/living room. We were hungry, so we would sneak an olive every time we went past the table. The problem was that these olives still had their pit. What to do with the pit? We thought we were clever and hid the pits under the edges of the dinner plates. When the family sat down to dinner, the adults discovered that the olives were all gone, and the olive pits were hidden at each place setting. Thank goodness the grown-ups had a good sense of humor, so we didn't get into trouble.

Regarding frog eye salad -- I love it! I posted my recipe on a separate thread, so you can satisfy your curiosity.

6. Thanks ncgrammie, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We celebrate our Thanksgiving is the 2nd weekend of October, but it's almost the same as Christmas menu.
    Must haves -
    Green veggie salad (sometimes Kale)
    Greek salad
    Coleslaw (sometimes)
    Turkey, bread stuffing and gravy
    DH's special ham with spiced pineapple glaze
    Mashed patatoes with broth and chives
    Sweet patatoes with cinnamon, maple syrup and lots of butter
    Roasted veggies - carrots, turnips, Brussels sprouts and peppers
    Orange cranberry sauce
    Tourtière (meat pie at xmas)
    Ragout de pattes de cochons ( pork and pigs feet ragout) delicious but long to make.
    Platters of homemade picked, olives (all kinds)

Appetizers must haves -
    Shrimp platter
    Cheese, crackers and grapes platter
    Veggies and dip

Desserts are pumpkin pie, Apple crumble pie, assorted homemade cookies and bars, ice cream in waffle bowls. At xmas add pecan tarts.

Oh and wine, lots of wine. The kids all bring their leftover containers. We have to hide what we want to keep for us, or its gone. That's ok as sometimes, I don't want to see the same food for days.

I am thankful today that my DD will be hosting xmas, first time. We will still help making the ham and patatoes, but they will prep the rest. Very thankful.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

8. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    That's funny! I have to ask were they black or green?
    Pitted black ones is what our kids and grands liked.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If your gonna make turkey you better make your stuffing homemade bread stuffing cooked in the turkey (recipe handed down from my Gramma) and my homemade gravy from the drippings.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

11. Thanks auntstuff thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MillieS View Post
    do you use a special recipe when you put it in the crock pot? any tips? How long? thanks
    When I do the stuffing I saute the onion and celery in a pan on the stove, them add chicken or turkey stock to the bread, toss it all in the crock pot for an hour or so. You can add a bit more stock after that to keep it moist if you need to keep it hot longer I putthecrock pot on low.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't stuff the turkey with dressing. I bake it in a separate pan/dish. That way you get some nice crispy edges. Yum.

14. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have read every post here and cannot believe that no one say a word about my turkey day must have.......drum roll...............
    SAUERKRAUT AND POLISH SAUSAGE!!!!!!! Yep you read that right - wouldn't be Thanksgiving with out that. My amazing DDIL makes it just for me every year, bless her heart. She hates the smell of it, but she makes the best kraut I've ever had. It's a Maryland tradition, but I seem to be the only one of the 35 guests that eat it. I think it might be more of a Pennsylvania Dutch tradition, which is where my folks came from.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would LOVE, LOVE LOVE sauerkraut and polish sausage....now, anytime, whenever, BUT it has to be home made sausage. We have a SIL ( now deceased) who made the most wonderful polish sausage from scratch. I can still taste it. It was authentic and the most delicious I have ever had. I never made it, sadly never asked Annette for her recipe, but would your DDIL be willing to share her recipe? I So wish I had asked Annette for her recipe. Now there is no one left to ask who would know how to make it. BTW, I am partially of Pennsylvania Dutch geniology. My mother cooked very much Pennsylvania Dutch recipe style.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon