Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quilting Machine Preferences

Hello Everyone,
    I'm a beginner/intermediate quilter that just started quilting a few years ago. My machine has seen better days and I am looking into getting a new one. With all the choices it's overwhelming! I was wanting to know everyone's opinions on their favorite machines that are in the $500 price range? I was looking at Brother PQ1500SL and Singer 8500Q but would be open to others out there! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilting Machine Preferences

You might want to visit your local quilt store to see if they have any trade-ins. Might be a way to get a more expensive machine that's in your price range. Plus, most shops will let you sit there and test drive them. See which ones feel right to you.

If you only want to quilt and sew straight stitches, look at the Babylock Jazz. With the holidays and Black Friday sales, you might get a really good deal.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the Brother PQ1500SL in January 2018. It is a work horse semi industrial machine. I saw an immediate massive improvement to do free motion quilting, not just because it had a larger throat area, but because it has a vertical bobbin which gives much more stability for the threads to interlock. With the ability to adjust the thread tension I have been able to free motion quilt equally well with 40 wt, 50 weight and 70 weight thread. With the open thread path you don't have to worry about thread jams inside the machine. This is a critical feature if you want to do your own free motion quilting. I have also used this machine to do very exacting precision piecing. The one feature I wished this machine had was a speed control adjustment. It is very fast. I taped a shim under neath the foot petal to slow it down. If you buy this machine be sure and get extra bobbins, and a bottle of sewing machine oil. Oddly enough it doesn't come with a bottle of oil and must be oiled for every eight hours of use.

The Singer 8500q has a smaller throat, a horizontal bobbin, and an enclosed thread path. IMHO free motion quilting will be difficult for you and the thread will break frequently, jamming up in the enclosed thread path. I hope you have a good sewing machine repair person. Check the reviews at Amazon. Singer quality is not what it used to be.

I hate to say bad things about other brands but the Babylock Jazz has multiple reports of having intermittent tension issues when free motion quilting. It is great for piecing.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you could manage to pay a couple hundred more, I'd suggest the Juki TL2010. It's a straight stitch only and you won't be sorry!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    If you could manage to pay a couple hundred more, I'd suggest the Juki TL2010. It's a straight stitch only and you won't be sorry!
    I second this - I bought mine th8s past spring & absolutely love it (much more then the pricier Viking Sapphire I have - I've kept it for zigzagging, buttonholes, things like thst)

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I love mine too
    Carmen

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I always vote Brother or Juki.
    Susan Davis
    Remember, the mighty oak was just a nut that held its ground.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Babylock Jazz

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baby Jazz (800x513).jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	156237
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I love Bernina machines. You can get a used machine
    reasonably priced. It’s better to buy a good machine
    that will last forever. As opposed to a cheap machine
    you will have to replace in 5 years.
    I suggest sewing on several brands to see what
    machine works best for you.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

You might head over to https://sewing.patternreview.com and read the sewing machine reviews for the models you are looking at.