Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default T-shirt quilt questions

I have a friend of a friend who lost their dog and they want to make a quilt from some of the clothing they had their dog wear. First they said a t-shirt quilt so I said ok and I was fairly comfortable with that although I've never strictly made one. Turns out that there is only 1 actual t-shirt in the batch. The rest are "jacket" types of things, most having various "trims", rabbit ears, etc on them. Hummmm.

So what I'm envisioning (or at least initially) is turning some pictures they had of the Lab into fabric (I've gotten that done) and using some of the trims (and old leashes) as borders around the pictures with the actual t-shirt as the center "picture". Now I'm thinking perhaps I could use some of the actual "jacket" fabrics and cut them down as sashes around the dogs fabric pictures. Any ideas on how or if that will work? Is the fact that there is then several different types and textures of fabric going to be ok. I did get some of the light fusible interfacing which I planned to stabilize the t-shirt fabric so would it also work on the "jacket" sashings?

The other thing is that I realized that with the fur type of trims, if I piece the whole thing together first that there will be a problem when I go to actually quilt it. Keeping the actual tension on the frame is going to be a problem due to the various thicknesses. Hummmm. So perhaps I should wait to do the fur trims and stitch them by hand after I've quilted the rest of the piece? I would really like to do this using the things I was given but I can see where their could be some problems. I'm doing this for free to be given by a mutual friend of ours. The friend is paying for any materials so it's not costing me anything but my time.

I've done "pet quilts" for two of our mutual friends and although they can be used as quilts they have chosen to use them as wall hangings. Frankly I'm hoping this girl does that too with all the variations that will go into this "quilt" that weren't in the others and I think I'd prefer that she dry clean it instead of putting it into a wash cycle.

Have I bitten off more than can be chewed? Oh God, I hope not. Do you have any ideas of what might be workable?? I'd really like to do something nice for her pets memory AND....I have to get it done by Christmas LOL

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: T-shirt quilt questions

I think I would be running from this . . .
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

4. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like your idea of incorporating the dog print fabric with artifacts they gave you to use. I wouldn't worry too much about heavy or fancy quilting to hold this quilt together. It will take some creativity to put something like this together! Be careful! If you do an outstanding job on it, your reputation will spread and more people will ask you to make these!

6. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I think hand stitching some of the bulkier pieces afterwards is a good idea.

That's a pretty tall order - love to see the finished piece!

8. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds fascinating!

How about quilting it on your sewing machine instead of your longarm?

Look at Lori Kennedy's website for ideas: http://theinboxjaunt.com/2016/03/01/...ting-tutorial/
    Vonnie

10. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Vonnie I actually really really stink at FMQ on a sewing machine LOL And I mean really, really stink.

AMG, I'm thinking handstitching those heavier pieces is the way to go too.

Jean, do you think the stabilizer fusible would be best with that jacket material for sashing? It seems to be a kind of thin poly that you see jackets made out of.

I should be able to get into the other room later today and will take a picture of the materials I have so far to work with. I'll post them here. LOL Jean, if it turns out really good and word gets around then they better be ready to pay some big bucks for it. This obviously isn't going to be something I'll be willing to do again for free!

Sandy, if it wasn't for a friend I'm sure I'd have run from this a long time ago. A lot of prayers are going into this quilt and they are all for my own sanity.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    - embroitique

12. Thanks Sandy Navas thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, here's the pictures.

These are the outfits I plan to work with because of the various embellishments although she did send others which were plainer:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Outfits for quilt.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	156044

These are the pictures I downloaded from her FB page that I thought would be reminiscent of the dogs personality and had Spoonflower do them up. I tried to find the ones that also had her dressed in an outfit I plan to use so the actual embellishments could be used too:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marlie pic for quilt.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	156045

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    - embroitique

14. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What if you put it all together with the pictures,quilted it and used fabric glue for the fussy stuff. Some of them are super strong and is she really going to use it or display it?

Lorie

16. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That would be great if I could do it that way. I've never been a good hand stitcher, so that part would be torture for me.

I wondered about glue and how it would hold up to washing. Unfortunately I don't know if she'll be wanting to hang or just use it. I should be meeting with Bonnie (the one who is gifting it to her) in a few days so I'll get a better idea then. Maybe I can convince Bonnie to keep calling it a wall hanging and tell her friend that is what it is :-/ You know with all those different types of fringes in particular I don't know how it would hold up as a quilt if she actually used it a lot. That's why I was thinking of having Bonnie tell her that if it needs washing to have it dry cleaned. It could be dry cleaned right?

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    - embroitique

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use this one and it's like cement. Iv'e fixed clothing with it and it holds up great.

https://www.amazon.com/Beacon-Fabri-...ds=fabric+glue

Lorie

19. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post