Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Boarders?

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boarders?

Hello everyone, I have a question about putting in boarders. I am a newbie in quilting and the fabric that I have left is not long enough for all four sizes of the quilt, so can I piece the fabric to make the boarder all the way around?

Meaning, if I have strips of 2 inch fabric that is 5 inches long but I need 10 inches to fit one side can I piece another piece of the same color to finish the side?

Thank You.

Carla

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Boarders?

Absolutely......most long borders have a seam, unless you cut your borders lengthwise. I try to stagger my seams, putting one on the top side and one on the bottom of the other side. The seams become less noticeable this way. Once your borders are quilted, the seams virtually disappear.

3. Thanks CarlaB, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You can piece your borders.

5. Thanks CarlaB thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Most of us always piece our borders unless we are working on small items or happen to have extremely wide fabric to work with.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Piece it! Most of us are not so fortunate to have enough length for borders without piecing it. It's so common it's almost as if it's a feature in a quilt that we expect to see. Hiding it well (and they usually are) shows ones skill as a quilter. Whether you square butt it, or diagonal piece will depend on the fabric print pattern. It will tell you. Iron those seams open, with steam on the front. You'll never find it. I'll also use a wider seam allowance for border piecing. It spreads the bulk a bit which helps hide it.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-