Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default WiP Nov 16 - 22, 2018

Busy, busy week.

I picked up an old knitting project that had been in time out for a long time. It's a Fair Isle vest and I have been procrastinating because there are cut steeks in the front and at the arm holes. I am determined to get it done so I can wear it this winter! I also cast on a hat for a travel project to match a cowl that I recycled from a damaged hand knit lace scarf last weekend. (Am I the only person that likes her hat, scarf and gloves/mittens to match or at least coordinate?)

On the quilting front, it's time to do the annual 'donation blocks' for the out going president of our quilter's guild. She asked for 'warm colors in batiks'. I don't have much in the way of batiks in my stash, so there was a trip to the LQS yesterday to get a couple. I also picked up a bag pattern. I've been wanting to try my hand at making a bag that is big enough for my knitting/hand piecing, wallet and phone. Something to carry on a daily basis.

I can't wait to get back to Aunt Lottie's Garden blocks once the hat is done, though. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the borders work on this one, but I'm only now approaching the halfway point on the blocks. Must sew faster LOL.

So I have my projects cut out for me this coming weekend. How are things in your world?

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WiP Nov 16 - 22, 2018

I'm having a good time needlepointing a pillow. It is sort of a modified reproduction of a Metropolitan Museum of Art antique chair back. I really like the history of needlework and if you like that kind of thing there is a free museum e-book of an exhibition of English embroidery you can download for $0.00 dollars Go to the link below then click on the photo of an embroidered box titled "English Embroidery in the Metropolitan Museum 1580-1700: 'Twixt Art and Nature edited by Melinda Watt and Andrew Morral".

https://store.bgc.bard.edu/

I found a piece in that museum book while browsing that is very reminiscent of what I've been stitching on for weeks...I actually kind of freaked out to see the similarities. It is on page 281, plate 81. Some of these stitch designs were copied and changed over the years but have a lot in common. In this case, the trees, shepherd and sheep, and running deer are similar.

So I've got the fireplace channel on TV and this log is just not burning up at all I'm beginning to think it's a gas fireplace.

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone is certainly busy with lots of projects.

Oh the Sunday sun is beaming on me as I have my second coffee, and contemplate my week ahead.

Yesterday was the craft show where I had a table of items for sale. It had snowed the night before, so this got people in xmas shopping mood. Yeah. I sold a lot of the baby items, and I think with what I have, I can keep for gifts or maybe sell on local handmade site. The remainder will be easy hostess gifts. I had decided earlier this year that I will not do craft shows any longer.

Today I will restore order and put away the bins of craft items. I also need to prepare two backings for quilts. Wednesday and Thursday, I have rented a long arm, and I will quilt our kingsize xmas quilt, and another smaller quilt. I rented it for 2 days as I didn't want to feel rushed with the king. Then I also have class booked on Saturday to make a purse. This will a lot of driving as this shop is an hour away.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I finished quilting our xmas Quatrefoil quilt and a rainbow Ombre quilt yesterday. It took a day and a half for xmas kingsize, as the pantograph had 2 runs per strip. For the 2nd one, I picked an easy one. It went fast and I was done in 3 hours. Now to trim and sew on binding. They turned out nice. One was bamboo batting. The rainbow has eucalyptus batting.

The drive to this LQS was long. First day was a storm so it took over an hour & a half to drive in and back home. Next day was better, but still was an hour drive each way. I have been fighting a cold all week, but I need to keep going. First day to rest will be Sunday unless I collapse before that.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Rest up this weekend so you can be busy next week.
    I am itching to get into my quilting room but might not be able to this weekend. It is time to shower the house with Christmas decorations. I think DS is coming to help get everything out of the attic. I need to put away the fall leaves, turkeys and quail that is out for fall decorations.
    I really want to fmq on some panels I am turning into a long pillow for the quest bed. Maybe later today.

8. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I finished the first of 2 Christmas quilts and will sandwich etc the second to have finished by the end of next week.

As we lost my dear FIL at the end of October last year, we didn't have much heart to decorate for Christmas, just did the very basics. Not this year!!!! We plan to super clean the house top to bottom starting tomorrow followed by decorating at the beginning of December, never done so early before. I've bought extra lights and plan making loads of decorations, so giddy. Just need to get a wiggle on.

Hope you all had a good Thanksgiving however you celebrated xx

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Claire Hallman thanked for this post