Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default What batting to use????

Hello all, I'm Roy. I enjoy making quilts. I've made numerous quilts by watching Jenny's tutorials, I have a person
    who ordered a couple quilts from me, and love them. However, now they would like to order 2 more, but are
    requesting the next 2 quilts to be heavier. I usually use a hi-loft batting and was wondering what else I could use to make it heavier. Please help Thank you Roy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What batting to use????

Here is a link to the various types of quilters dream and Hobbs battings. Maybe you'll be able to pick one after reading various descriptions. I'd also try attending a local quilt show where you may find someone with samples of the various weight battings.

http://www.quiltersdreambatting.com/...-dream-cotton/

http://www.hobbsbatting.com/

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using Quilters Dream Blend for a heavier quilt. It's 70/30 cotton/poly. Also liked Warm Natural plush. Its 50% thicker than W&N, but lighter than QDBlend. The heaviest I have used is QD Deluxe. It really makes a difference. if you like Quilters Dream, they have a sample card that they can send to you.
    Diana Grey

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I really like working with the quilter's dream brand.

Something else you might think about is using a flannel on the back for added warmth.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use Hobbs 80/20 for everything. I tried the Quilters Dream blend 70/30. It was nice to work with, but I'm not willing to pay the extra cost to use it. Kathy at Tamarack Shack (blog) uses QD 70/30 for almost everything. I personally didn't care for warm & natural, but it is heavier.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I use hobbs 80/20 too, I soak the batting in the shower and drip dried outside.
    in one quilt I used 2 pieces of hobbs together, makes for interesting quilting, and is warmer, you could use the fusible version to keep both layers together but don't prewash this.

made a spacer for the needle tightening sticky out part the spring hopper foot bar rests on, for the double height batting.
    using spring washers inside an small plastic pipe, this lifted the springing hopping foot higher, giving more glide and less shoulder ache.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love Hobbs 80/20 and I use it on just about everything. I see someone commented here they prewashed and air dried the batting. This is something I have never ever done. I'm not saying it's wrong, just why would you want to. For weight, 100 percent cotton is good too. It crinkles up beautifully after your quilt is quilted, washed, and put in the dryer.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I used Quilter's Dream Select Poly in a stadium quilt because it was advertised as being 1 1/2 times warmer than cotton. It was pricey, but it made the quilt heavier & warmer. There is also a QD Deluxe Poly.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just to second someone else's suggestion: How about Warm and Natural batting and a flannel back?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snip Snip View Post
    Just to second someone else's suggestion: How about Warm and Natural batting and a flannel back?
    I only use Warm and Natural was wondering why no one mentions that brand lol love love love it
    Hawaiigrammi