Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default AAH! Now I understand!

When I first started my quilting journey I thought
    • I would never have a stash
    • I would need only 1 square and 1 longer ruler
    • I would never have a UFO because I couldn’t do that much work and not finish
    • I could not and thus would never FMQ.
    • I would give quilts just to family.

All has changed. My stash makes quilts now and still grows. How is that?
    I long for the Creative Grids log cabin ruler I just read about here.
    I have 3 UFOs I own up to.
    I can and do FMQ, although I am better at lines than spaces.
    I give quilts as baby gifts now.

What changed for you?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: AAH! Now I understand!

Wow, so much has changed......

Thought how hard to cut all those pieces (pre rotary cutters, rulers, etc.) now can't wait.
    I only really need a couple quilts, only have a couple beds......now there's no place left to store, gifting, donating. Making quilts for the shear fun of making!
    Many, many UFO's......but I hand quilt....at least that's my excuse!
    Have said I'll never FMQ......now I'm thinking about it. These old hands can hand quilt foe only so long.

And mostly......I love....LOVE fabric! My stash...is my collection and insurance for when I retire......my story....stickin to it!

Probably more, just haven't thought long enough.....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a fabric stash since I was a young teen. Sometimes it was large and sometimes not. I have a considerable stash now and you would think I would never need to buy another square inch of fabric. NEED has nothing to do with it because I'm a fabric addict/hoarder and making quilts and other pretties is the way I justify my addiction. I suspect I am not alone in this group .... confession is good for the soul.

Name:  FabricHoarder.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  12.1 KB

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Talk about a stash, I am the worst! I had trouble sleeping last night, and got to thinking about quilts. I have a little sewing corner in my bedroom, with a tiny little drawer unit to store small projects. I walk by it 10 times a day ( it's by the bathroom door!). But haven't looked in it for quite some time. Imagine my surprise when I pulled blocks out of one of the drawers! Finished blocks! Enough blocks for 4 different quilts! All I have to do is lay them out and sew them together! Then that got me thinking about other UFOs I have stashed, wow, I have a motherlode of tops that just need a border then to be quilted! Now I have my 2019 quilt journey all mapped out for me, and I cleaned out a few drawers! Of course, finishing these will barely put a dent in the whole stash, but it will be good to get these finished!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to give this some thought. I'll be back.

Gina

6. Thanks Star lover, pcbatiks, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh such an interesting thread! I used to wonder how anyone could sew for hours, don't they get bored? No! Who hasn't been there then looked at the clock, see it's 4:30 and realized they haven't even thought about what to make for dinner. When I am not sewing I think about it all the time. What will I make next, what colors, etc. I have about 2,000 pins on my Pinterest boards and Iook at them all the time. I drool over sterling silver thimbles. I plan quilts in my head falling to sleep every night. When seeing quilts at shows I look at the overall beauty, but also find myself mentally deconstructing blocks to see how they are put together. My dh was leaving on a trip today, three whole weeks sewing to my heart's content and no cooking. Well he woke up sick and had to cancel the trip. (Don't know who was more disappointed me or him, isnt that a terrible confession!) My stash is deliberately small bc I do like to buy new fabric, and I feel stressed out when I have too much sitting around. I love rulers, tools, gadgets and now have sewn long enough that I can actually recognize when certain things would be great, other things just a waste of money. I actually know who quilters are and what they are known for, like Jenny, Angela Walters, Lori Holt, Jinny Beyer, Kaffee Fasset. I am addicted to checking out the DD and daily flash sale at FQS like I am addicted to my morning coffee. All these things have become a part of my life. And also the Forum. Looking forward to other responses here!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also used to wonder how people could sew for hours and why they had so much fabric that was not made into something.

When I first started quilting I had a rule that I would have no more than three projects started at one time and had to finish those before I started another. Right now I have 8 finished tops that need quilting. I have two that only need the binding to finish. I have a quilt started for my 6 year old grandson that he keeps asking about and for some reason I don't want to sew on it. (bad grandmommy).

I would rather buy fabric than food. I do need to sew it up rather than throwing it on the pile . I find joy in touching , folding ect my fabric. (my daughter says I "pet" my fabric). People see my fabric and machines and think I run a quilting business out of my home. I don't. I make quilts for family and friends only.

I have too many machines. Discarded machines make their way to my house. Three of my different grandmothers, two of my moms, one of my sisters, not to mention my own. I have been truly blessed with sewing machines.

One of the things that I love so much is looking at the pictures posted on this forum of all of your wonderful creations. So much talent here. I find myself looking several times a day.

Ohh and one other thing …I never realized how much it would mean to me when someone loves a quilt you gave them and they are not just being nice
    Last edited by TMP; November 7th, 2018 at 04:01 PM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Well I need to control my will power, stop buying all the beautiful fabrics from M*. My stash has certainly grown over the 3 years I've been on M* website, also my ruler stash, also my thread collection. Oh, I could go on and on. There is no end to it. I am a fabricholic and enjoying every minute of it. I have 5 UFO waiting for me. My to-do list gets longer and longer. And I'm enjoying every minute of it. Oh did I already say that? And Jenny has so many wonderful tutorials. All my quilts go to family members and friends and some I have donated. Such a rewarding feeling. Just wanted to say you're not alone.
    Last edited by LindaKay75; November 7th, 2018 at 04:10 PM.
    Linda

Prairie Pointer

I'm lucky enough to live in both DeLand, Florida and Waymart, Pennslyvania
    Post Thanks / Like

If I gathered all the fabric stashed around the house I'd be surprised... ok maybe not surprised, perhaps inspired to finish my UFO's or start new ones.
    There's a T-shirt on the MQC website that states that Quilting is Cheaper than Therapy...hmmm I'm not sure about that, but it sure iis more fun and works like therapy for me!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi my name is Monique and I am addicted to quilting. What has changed? Everything, lol!!
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!