• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TMP
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2014

Vinyl Flooring

I am wondering if any of you have any experience with the new vinyl flooring that looks like wood?

My downstairs den is on concrete and I would have really l like to have hardwood like the upstairs but they say they can't install it on concrete. Back in May when I turned on the air, the pump failed and flooded the area. I put off getting this fixed. Good news, my homeowners insurance is covering it. ( that is another story) ( nothing is ever easy).

This will be the only floor I ever put down in this area. They told me that it is water proof and if I have water damage again all they do is come out remove the floor let it dry and reinstall it. It does look like wood. The room is where the grandkids hangout and my always shedding lab stays. I am just a little scarred to put down a product I know nothing about.
    Teresa
    Pelham, Alabama
    War Eagle!!!
  • Hulamoon
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2012

Re: Vinyl Flooring

I don't have any experience with it, but looked at a lot of them when I renovated my aunts house in Calif. I put in carpet instead. I almost regret it because I have to pay for carpet cleaning now. There are some really nice ones out there now, even at Home Depot. Good luck with your choice!
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• KPH
      Missouri Star
      • Feb 2015

My son put the vinyl planks in his kitchen to office (a third of the house). They love it, and he learned a lot putting it down himself (like when your wife works nights in the ER it takes three times as long to do the job, because she needs to sleep during the days).

The clean up is easy with three little kids. So far, it's durable, but it's only been about 5 months.
      Katrina
      From NC, retired in FL
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• LindaKay75
        The Guild President
        • Mar 2014

I know of a lady that did her entire house with the vinyl flooring, thru Home Depot. She loves it!
        I've never had any experience with it but after talking with her I've decided to do my kitchen floor with it.
        Good luck on your decision. If you can do it yourself you'd save some $$$. Unfortunately, I'd have to go
        with the Home Depot contractor.
        sigpicLinda :icon_wave:

Comment

• DeniseSm
          Missouri Star
          • Nov 2013

I have only started learning about vinyl flooring. Here is an informative article

Want to know more about the best luxury vinyl plank flooring? We’ve provided a complete guide on lvp flooring with brands, reviews, costs, and the top products.
          Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
            Missouri Star
            • Oct 2013

I think our landlord put in vinyl flooring in some of his places.
            Granted he rents out the places. He's had problems but I believe that when you wash it you only use a damp mop, not sloshing water all over the floor. The renters aren't mopping it properly and in some places the vinyl is coming up. Maybe check that out?

hummm, wait a minute...maybe that was laminated? Maybe there is a difference?
            https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
            Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• laura44
              Missouri Star
              • Mar 2014

I had it in my old house, loved it. Just sweep or a lightly damp mop.
              The room looks nice with it. Bring a few samples home to audition the
              color in your own light. So much easier than cleaning the carpet but
              not as warm. You can always throw a area rug on it for color.

Comment

• TMP
                Missouri Star
                • Apr 2014

I have a Shark steam mop that I love and plan on using it on the floor . (best thing they ever invented) It has 3 settings of steam and it is almost dry before I finish. I love this thing because there is no stinky mop to have around and I have a clean pad to use each time I mop.
                Teresa
                Pelham, Alabama
                War Eagle!!!

Comment

• KPH
                  Missouri Star
                  • Feb 2015

Originally posted by TMP View Post
                  I have a Shark steam mop that I love and plan on using it on the floor . (best thing they ever invented) It has 3 settings of steam and it is almost dry before I finish. I love this thing because there is no stinky mop to have around and I have a clean pad to use each time I mop.
                  I love my Shark steam mop, too. lol, I think I'm on my third one!
                  Katrina
                  From NC, retired in FL
                  “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Hulamoon
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jul 2012

I have one of those shark mops too and never used it yet! I need to do some spring cleaning or fall cleaning. lol
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• SuzyQue
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jan 2010

We put vinyl planking in a new room addition a little over a year ago. My husband installed it and it was pretty easy.....all tongue and groove. It is definitely water proof! We installed a spa in this room and the water splashing and dripping has presented no issues. Read the care instructions before install. I just sweep ours, or dust mop.....no vacuum. I have a Bono mop I use to wash it. I love my shark steam mop and use it a lot, but not in there. It looks as good as it did at install. We are planning on putting it in our bathrooms next. The floor has a little grip to it and not as slick as tile or lineoleum and we don’t find it as cold on the feet. We love it!

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
                        Missouri Star
                        • Mar 2014

I've had the vinyl wood-look flooring in my kitchen/dining area, livingroom and all three bedrooms for over 6 yrs now. We have 2 dogs and 2 cats, and it's held up so well. It's waterproof, cleans up very easily. I love that it doesn't have the loud clicking sound from shoes that some laminates have. We installed it ourselves.

Jeanne

Comment

• bakermom
                          Missouri Star
                          • Sep 2010

My son just put some down in his kitchen. Loves it. He's thinking of re-doing both bathrooms with it in the future. He and his wife did it themselves.
                          “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

• MRoy
                            Missouri Star
                            • Jul 2011

We put vinyl plank over concrete in the house we built for our farm worker almost 2 years ago. So far it's fine, including dealing with a water heater leak.
                            *~* Myrna *~*
                            *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

• dwil23
                              Missouri Star
                              • May 2012

I have it in two rooms directly on the concrete. I LOVE it!. One room gets a ton of wear as the dogs spend most of their time in there and it has held up so well - even after four years.
                              Donna

Comment

Working...
                              X