Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vinyl Flooring

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vinyl Flooring

We put vinyl planking in a new room addition a little over a year ago. My husband installed it and it was pretty easy.....all tongue and groove. It is definitely water proof! We installed a spa in this room and the water splashing and dripping has presented no issues. Read the care instructions before install. I just sweep ours, or dust mop.....no vacuum. I have a Bono mop I use to wash it. I love my shark steam mop and use it a lot, but not in there. It looks as good as it did at install. We are planning on putting it in our bathrooms next. The floor has a little grip to it and not as slick as tile or lineoleum and we don’t find it as cold on the feet. We love it!

2. Thanks TMP, Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the vinyl wood-look flooring in my kitchen/dining area, livingroom and all three bedrooms for over 6 yrs now. We have 2 dogs and 2 cats, and it's held up so well. It's waterproof, cleans up very easily. I love that it doesn't have the loud clicking sound from shoes that some laminates have. We installed it ourselves.

Jeanne

4. Thanks TMP thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My son just put some down in his kitchen. Loves it. He's thinking of re-doing both bathrooms with it in the future. He and his wife did it themselves.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

6. Thanks TMP thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We put vinyl plank over concrete in the house we built for our farm worker almost 2 years ago. So far it's fine, including dealing with a water heater leak.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

8. Thanks TMP thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have it in two rooms directly on the concrete. I LOVE it!. One room gets a ton of wear as the dogs spend most of their time in there and it has held up so well - even after four years.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We put premium vinyl plank flooring in the kitchens of three of our apartments. They look great but time will tell if they hold up. Our installer told us that if it is applied directly on top of concrete that it's best to use a pad because you lose the R-Factor and your floors are quite cold. We didn't use a pad because it was in a kitchen but it's something to think about.
    Last edited by Bubby; November 14th, 2018 at 10:24 AM.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

We've had Prego (sp?) plank flooring in our den, installed with padding over concrete for the last 15 years with no problems. I just damp mop it like the installer told us and it always looks great. I chose a medium oak wood, kind of a shiny real wood look.

There is also a flexible vinyl strip flooring in wood tones but I don't have any experience with that.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Haha MissMay, thank you for the morning laugh! Prego is a brand of spaghetti sauce. Pergo is flooring. I think you need another cup of coffee!!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have the new vinyl flooring that looks like wood in a bathroom that gets little use. I like it. We put it in ourselves (comes in plan-like pieces), and it was pretty easy.

HOWEVER, I would not advice putting vinyl flooring in a basement. We put sheet vinyl in a very big laundry/storage room, and it starting turning colors from moisture in the concrete within a year.

My advice is, if you can afford it, and you like the look of wood, install the wood-look ceramic tile. I've heard great things about it as far as looks go, you're not going to get mold issues with it, and if your basement should ever get somekind of "flood" (from whatever source) I think it will stand up to it.

That's what I plan to put in my basement should the carpet ever get wet again.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We just relocated from MO to GA (long story & why I haven't posted much). Bought a new home, which is a slab (first time not having a basement) Our entire downstairs is planked wood look flooring, and I really like it - and it's on concrete. It is very dark, rich brown color, like walnut, and looks lovely, but does show every spec dropped, dust, etc. My only advice is choose your color carefully or be prepared to run that dust mop every day!