Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help using Superior Mono Poly invisible thread

I am trying to quilt my top using Superior invisible thread. However, no matter how much I loosen the tension, I still get loops from the bobbin thread which is cotton. I am using an 80/12 needle and 50wt cotton thread in bobbin. Please help!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need help using Superior Mono Poly invisible thread

Just throwing out an idea here, but do you have a mesh sock on your top thread spool?

Here's some more ideas:
    https://www.generations-quilt-patter...nt-thread.html
    Vonnie

3. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This page helped me. I used the safety pin trick as a thead guide with my spool in a mug near the right side, slightly behind the hand wheel. I stuck in on with masking tape. It made a big difference for me.

https://www.generations-quilt-patter...ar-thread.html

5. Thanks Vonnie, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a silly question, but why not use Mono Poly in the bobbin as well?

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I am currently quilting using the same size threads as you and I am using a size 70/10 needle. My batting is 100% cotton. This is the 1st time using mono and I am not having any issues. Below is a link to Superior's guide - very useful. I will only use Superior's needles and do love their King Tut thread line for quilting.

https://storage.googleapis.com/vw-su...ence-guide.pdf

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no expert but I like using invisible thread and it has a mind of its own. I use Superior Threads Mono Poly invisible thread all the time to FMQ. I use Bottomline or Aurifil in the bobbin and #14 Topstitch, #14 Metafil, or #14 Microtex needle. The larger needle has a bigger eye and helps to eliminate the thread shredding at the needle. It works for me!

I also set my upper tension at almost zero. Each of my machines require a different setting on the upper tension, but it's always a drastically reduced tension setting for the mono poly thread. Sometimes it's necessary to skip one of the thread guides when using invisible thread. This not only applies to the Superior brand thread, but to other brands as well. If your tension is already set low and you can see the thread stressing or you're pulling up loops on the top, skip one of guides.

I have also had to adjust the tension on the bobbin, which I know a lot of people don't like to touch. I don't touch it unless I get loops from the bobbin and I have already adjusted the tension to the lowest setting. Then I will make a very slight bobbin adjustment. If that scares you, messing with your bobbin, buy another bobbin to use for specialty threads.

Slower speed is necessary when using the invisible thread to avoid breakage. Don't get me wrong, I still break thread when I get quilting too fast but then that's a message for me to slow down.

I use a net over the thread and a cone stand. If you don't have a thread stand, you can place your thread in a cup and thread it upwards through a safety pin and then through the guides. The Superior thread needs to unwind upwards (vertically) so make sure you are loading your thread to feed correctly on your machine.

I have to admit that I spent hours trying the invisible thread on various machines. The Superior brand works very well for me. Once I found the magic setting on each machine, I made note of it. Make some practice squares and make adjustments until you get a nice straight stitch, then drop your feed dogs and practice FMQ slowly. I pulled my hair out and used a lot of pirate language perfecting my use of invisible thread. Can't say it's always perfect, but I've learned how to make it work. These are just a few suggestions to help you and hopefully some tips will work for you.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

No. I took the thread off my spool and put it on a thread holder with guide.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    Maybe a silly question, but why not use Mono Poly in the bobbin as well?
    I read it is best not to have it in the bobbin.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
    I am currently quilting using the same size threads as you and I am using a size 70/10 needle. My batting is 100% cotton. This is the 1st time using mono and I am not having any issues. Below is a link to Superior's guide - very useful. I will only use Superior's needles and do love their King Tut thread line for quilting.

https://storage.googleapis.com/vw-su...ence-guide.pdf
    Guess I need to get some 70/10 needles. Thanks.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharyn J View Post
    I'm no expert but I like using invisible thread and it has a mind of its own. I use Superior Threads Mono Poly invisible thread all the time to FMQ. I use Bottomline or Aurifil in the bobbin and #14 Topstitch, #14 Metafil, or #14 Microtex needle. The larger needle has a bigger eye and helps to eliminate the thread shredding at the needle. It works for me!

I also set my upper tension at almost zero. Each of my machines require a different setting on the upper tension, but it's always a drastically reduced tension setting for the mono poly thread. Sometimes it's necessary to skip one of the thread guides when using invisible thread. This not only applies to the Superior brand thread, but to other brands as well. If your tension is already set low and you can see the thread stressing or you're pulling up loops on the top, skip one of guides.

I have also had to adjust the tension on the bobbin, which I know a lot of people don't like to touch. I don't touch it unless I get loops from the bobbin and I have already adjusted the tension to the lowest setting. Then I will make a very slight bobbin adjustment. If that scares you, messing with your bobbin, buy another bobbin to use for specialty threads.

Slower speed is necessary when using the invisible thread to avoid breakage. Don't get me wrong, I still break thread when I get quilting too fast but then that's a message for me to slow down.

I use a net over the thread and a cone stand. If you don't have a thread stand, you can place your thread in a cup and thread it upwards through a safety pin and then through the guides. The Superior thread needs to unwind upwards (vertically) so make sure you are loading your thread to feed correctly on your machine.

I have to admit that I spent hours trying the invisible thread on various machines. The Superior brand works very well for me. Once I found the magic setting on each machine, I made note of it. Make some practice squares and make adjustments until you get a nice straight stitch, then drop your feed dogs and practice FMQ slowly. I pulled my hair out and used a lot of pirate language perfecting my use of invisible thread. Can't say it's always perfect, but I've learned how to make it work. These are just a few suggestions to help you and hopefully some tips will work for you.
    Thank you for sharing all your experience. I eventually put it on a cone stand with tension below 1. Still the same. Adjusted. Rethreaded. Different bobbins. Same. So today I tightened the bobbin tension in which the screw was painted over. I hope I don’t regret that. 😬😬 I think I finally got it to work and I started shadowing my top. I have gray thread on the bottom and it “might” still show a tiny bit of gray on top or it just might be the hole in the fabric. Too hard to tell but I’m going with it. Thanks!