Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Question Using machine embroidery stabilizer with decobond interfacing

Hello all! Iím currently working on the Fat Quarter Buckets pattern and was considering adding some embroidery to it. Beyond a few small prices done for skill building I really havenít done much machine embroidery.

The pattern calls for decobond 809 interfacing, which would be underneath the embroidery stitches. What Iím wondering though, is would it be better to embroider directly into the decobond, use stabilizer with the fabric and embroidery before attaching the interfacing, or something else entirely. Iím leaning towards the second as to avoid gumming up the needle from the fusible web on the interfacing, but am open to suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Using machine embroidery stabilizer with decobond interfacing

I never heard of that product before. It sounds kind of heavy for what your doing. I always, or mostly use a tear away stabilizer.

Welcome to the forum!

Lorie

3. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Could you try out using the DecoBond fused on a sample to see how it would work on your actual project? The weight of DecoBond is very similar to tear away stabilizer, but I'm not sure how the fusible glue reacts when doing embroidery. I use DecoBond all the time in bag construction and sew through it and it has never showed up as residue on my needle, so it might work just fine, but I would sew out a sample first.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

You can stitch through the decor-bond 809. We use it for class projects done in the hoop. Generally a piece is floated on the back of the hoop/stabilizer, then stitched and cut to the applique size.

The other option is to iron it onto the lining piece of fabric. Stitch the machine EMB on the front fabric. Then layer together.

You may need to experiment with needle type/size if you experience thread breakage. There are also non-stick needles when using fusibles. I just wipe with some alcohol and it's good to go.