Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What are y'all sewing up for Christmas gifts?

Not sure I will get any Christmas gifts made this year. Have been too busy making items for my craft show last week end, and now restocking for the one I have coming up the fist weekend of Dec. I sold over 70 bowl cozies that I need to replace, and add to, since I sold out. Make several wristlet's that are big sellers for me as well. Will make a few 10 minute table runners, and try to get a few pot holders made as well. I also make home decor items with my Cricut..plates, platters...ornaments. I did very well last weekend ...but I can get most of it restocked within my time frame, if I can stay healthy.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my you all are busy. I am making all my gifts and I think I'll get them done.

5 Mod block carry bags for 5 GD's (finished)
    5 little wooden boxes for 5 GS's (almost)
    10 Sit upons (stadium seats) all quilted and half are bound
    1 large walking stick made from a laurel (Rhododendron ) branch (finished)
    1 sit upon with hiking embroider and 3 zippered pockets (finished)
    10 sets of 4 guest towels embroidered and hemmed (two are finished, 8 are cut out)
    And then there is the baking....

3. Thanks Star lover, 201 Treadler, Claire Hallman, chelea thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I am in awe of how industrious our forum members are! I went overboard last year, it was very stressful, so this year I don't have anything big planned. I bought a couple of embroidery designs -- one for a sewing themed bookmark and another for a stocking gift card holder -- both are freestanding lace. I will probably make a few folded fabric coasters to use as gift card holders, and maybe some freestanding lace snowflakes, but that's it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Each year I close my sewing room down for the month of December to organize, take inventory and prioritize the UFOs (no small task). My health took a hit this year, besides having the flu and bronchial pneumonia from December through March. The few things I've done have been on the emb machine. Most years I make 7-8 quilts plus runners and other things. This year I haven't even made one quilt. I'm looking forward to 2019 being a productive and enjoyable year and I wish the same for everyone in our group.

Prairie Pointer

I'm lucky enough to live in both DeLand, Florida and Waymart, Pennslyvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankfully I started early this year, in JUNE!

15 sets of bowl cozies, specific fabric for some.
    6 matching stockings for the family, a new girl-friend and boy-friend have joined the crew. The initials on the cuffs hare removable (if you know what I mean).
    20 tuffet pin cushions for my quilting group. I think I'll let them pick numbered slips of paper and then they can choose which one they would like.
    Some rice bag warming bags for the new boy-friend. They're made out of flannel, filled with white rice, and you warm them up in the microwave for muscle boo-boos.
    Cat tubes. I stuff them with poly fill and some cat nip. They just love to grab and attach them. Again new boy-friend's cat, Captain Butterball, and my daughter's new cat Smokey.

Hope all your projects get done before December 24th!
    Last edited by Fran & Kisses; November 10th, 2018 at 11:16 AM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I'm making a few micriwvw bowl cozies, a throw for my mom's dog sitter, and then a pair of luggage tags for family members (about 12 pair). We are travelling to WA for Xmas with my brother, so we all agreed no presents except for the kids. I'd already stared the luggage tags, so I'll finish those up & send them early

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Julie, was trying to think of how to give gift cards that won't get lost in all the wrapping, ribbons and bows. Your idea of making the coasters and tucking the cards into one is a great idea. I'm stealing it for sure. Thanks for sharing and for the idea. The Grands and even my kids and wives are so hard to buy for, so I'm giving gift cards. My one granddaughter is just learning to crochet and I wanted to make her a schlep bag, but her birthday is in April and I think I won't be stressing out trying to get it done by Christmas. Besides if I make one then I'll have to make each of the grands something. No time for that.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Star lover View Post
    With snow on the ground, I guess it's starting to look a lot like Christmas!

I've made my DIL's table runners with Placemats.....for them to open. Cause the real gift will be a quilt. I'm wrapping 2 identical packages each with a number inside. 1 & 2. Who ever opens #1 gets the first pick. I'm gonna have a bed turning with all finished quilts and tops. They get their pick. If it's a finished one.....merry Christmas. If it's a top, it's the next one quilted. I hand quilt. And repeat with who ever gets #2. I've given up trying to figure tastes. So I make what I like and they can choose.

For the grands, I'm making snap bags and scrunchies and some other things and they will also get something not homemade.
    What a lovely idea!
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

10. Thanks Star lover, chelea, 201 Treadler thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Have lots of things made since I promised myself months ago that I would sew every day (sewing is the best therapy).
    I've decided that with all the scraps, I should do something silly. You know the "ugly Christmas sweater thing"? Well how about some ugly Christmas-themed potholders or hot pads....made a couple, lined them with batting and insulbrite and they make me laugh (they are turning out not so ugly!) Kind of like a stocking stuffer gift if you throw in a nice mixing spoon or spatula and a box of great brownie mix (which means no baking for me and easy baking for anyone they might be gifted to). Anyway, my holiday scrap bin is dwindling, and I'm having fun!
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

12. Thanks Star lover, chelea, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same idea last winter, trying to get rid of all my xmas fabric scraps. So I decided to make a sort-of crazy quilt.

I finished it, and when my grandson saw it. He loved it and wanted it. He will get it this year. He also loves red. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	155951

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.