Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Home selling help! (long one)

Hi everyone. I have been coming to the Forum each day but not much time to comment. Reading your Forum comments are helping me to stay sane.

I really need your advice & comments.

We are in the waiting process before the house closes on Nov. 26th. My realtor said she had an email from the buyers agent who said the home inspection went well. We are waiting on the appraiser to come.

The buyers asked for $3,000 closing costs & everyone I know has said that in our market that was nuts & we should have said no. (I felt pushed by our realtor & DH)
    Now my agent called & said she got a text from the buyers agent that they have a "small" list of things they want fixed. I told DH & our realtor that I am not fixing one more thing. Our realtor is frustrated with me & I am not happy with her either. Although I haven't seen the list I know it's not something structural, systems related or unsafe.
    Our house is 11 years old and I have taken extremely good care of the inside & outside. I have spent $500 painting the inside, $1000 on the garage door, $400 with the electrician, $600 on all new faucets, $900 on the HVAC and $400 on wall art & curtains. Five months ago we put up a very nice six foot black fence around the back yard to the tune of $5,500. (my emergency credit card has melted)
    We need every dime we make off this house to buy the next one.

I know the buyers put down money on a house & walked away. I am willing to bet they won't walk away this time due to the reasons that made them choose our house. We had 8 great offers and 2 back up offers. I still have people pulling in my driveway wanting to get on the list. If they walk away due to trivial requests we won't have a problem getting another offer.

Is this sound reasoning on my side?
    They make walk away, they may bluff that they will walk away, they may ask to split the cost of "repairs" or they may still insist we pay up. At any of those points my answer is still no. Also they came to the house with their agent so they saw what it looked like & if they weren't happy they should have keep looking.

I really need help figuring out how to handle this before my realtor comes by with the list. We have found a house that we are 97% sure we want to purchase so going back on the market is a stressful thought but I will if needed.

If you have sold a house or houses have you told buyers no to a "fix everything" list so they get a "brand new" house? If so how did it go? Did you have to concede & fix something? Lose the sale?

This is a short youtube video in case you want to see the home video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-SBTSw59bM

This is the listing page:
    https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M64462-52103

Thank you for your help!!!!!!

Sorry this is so long.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Home selling help! (long one)

Don't fix what you don't want to fix. Fix something if you want to but don't let the realtor buffalo you. She can fix it if it is that important to make the sale.
    Try standing in front of a mirror and saying no, no, no.

3. Thanks MSN, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Buying and selling a home is stressful. Maybe, before deciding, ask to see the list. They may be things you would do anyway. With small money. Also, consider the time of year. While many may say they're interested in your home, they probably don't want to move at Christmas. You may be be starting all over again.
    Diana Grey

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't sold a house, so no help there. We're hoping to sell out in a few years and more......we'll kinda your neck of the world.

I watched the video....your house is IMMACULATE! I agree, the stuff they must want done, must be small stuff.....they're going to push, and, if you move, they'll be happy. But I'm thinking they're already happy. Maybe they're agent is making suggestion to justify themselves?
    If they present a legitimate item, consider it, do or don't, the choice is yours. Don't be pushed into doing it. I don't think you'll get anymore for it and the sale will drag as the waiting game goes on.

I'm happy for you, I know you've been wanting to sell and move on....this could be it. Breathe.......it'll all be fantastic!
    Anita

6. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at the list. It may not be bad. Remember you have the option to accept or decline the extras. If you tell them to forget it, and the buyers don't like it, they can pound sand. Enter the other offers. The vibe I'm getting from your post is the realtor is aware you need the funds for the new home and is bullying you into something you don't want to do. Devils advocate - it might be the best offer you'll get and she knows it, and she just wants to get it wrapped up for you. I wish you well, it's very stressful.
    Heather

8. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We sold our 100 year old house 8 years ago. When the home inspection report came in our realtor said it was the longest list of things needed fixing that he ever saw in 30 years of being a realtor. The buyers didn't ask us to fix anything or insist on a price adjustment. They were a young couple, this was their first house, and I honestly think their realtor did a pretty crummy job representing them. We would have shared some repair costs if pushed, bc we had no backup offers and already picked out another house we wanted to buy. One issue came up was they needed a new roof in order to get the loan and insurance. We had to pay for the new roof bc the home was in our name, but the buyers then added that to the purchase price and completely reimbursed us, when we would have gone 50/50 on that if asked. The buyer said he was good at fixing things and could do almost all the stuff on the to do list. Since you have backups and other people wanting to get a crack at your house, I would draw that line in the sand and tell your buyers No more! Take it or leave it. And if they walk away you can fall back on the others. You have spent a ton getting your house ready to sell and I think enough is enough. I love watching shows like House Hunters but I think they give new buyers unreasonable expectations. For example, If they don't like your counter tops why should you pay so they can get them updated how they want. Anything cosmetic should be on them. It's okay to say no and not feel guilty.

10. Thanks Claire Hallman, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Look at the list before you decide. Then discuss it with your DH. This should be a joint decision. Feel absolutely free to say no, but be prepared to listen fully to what DH says.

Were the other offers as good?

One last thought, you and DH are the ones paying the 6% commission to sell the house. Your agent is supposed to be working on your side.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

12. Thanks MSN, SuzanneOrleansOntario, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, look at the list and discuss with DH. You are under no obligation to fix anything- the contracts we signed in NC all said sold AS IS and our agent told us anything we chose to fix would be a kindness on our part.

The list of fixes our buyers wanted was pages long. We picked the easiest couple and said no to the rest... they had the nerve to want all of the windows replaced! Bet you can guess what my DH said about that!

Breathe and pray about it. Since you have other offers, you have the upper hand in negotiations.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseSm View Post
    Look at the list before you decide. Then discuss it with your DH. This should be a joint decision. Feel absolutely free to say no, but be prepared to listen fully to what DH says.

Were the other offers as good?

One last thought, you and DH are the ones paying the 6% commission to sell the house. Your agent is supposed to be working on your side.
    Two offers at list, three above list but the same amount and the one we took was $5000 over but they asked for a little over $3000 closing costs.

DH feels like I do but is mild mannered so won't say much. He'll let me fight the battles.

Thank you for pointing out that I'm PAYING my agent to sell MY house. So she needs to cool her jets and work for me!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Hallman View Post
    Don't fix what you don't want to fix. Fix something if you want to but don't let the realtor buffalo you. She can fix it if it is that important to make the sale.
    Try standing in front of a mirror and saying no, no, no.
    Thank you

16. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Claire Hallman thanked for this post