Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Home selling help! (long one)

The buyers asked the due diligence date be moved giving them another three days since the appraisal hasn't come through. DH said, "what the h_ _ _!" I told him to call the realtor & tell her it would be okay. After reading all the comments & advice from you I have come to a sense of peace, let go of my anxiety and found the strong woman in me who will say, "No more money. Do you understand that I mean no?" "I'll be more than happy to tell you no in several languages if you really don't understand."
    Bless you all!!

2. Thanks Claire Hallman, MSN, Sylvia H, KPH thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Disappointed that they are still hanging on. Either they should buy or not buy. Are they looking at other houses and keeping you on the hook while they look? Sending good thoughts your way.

4. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Not your fault about the appraisal being late but hey, you agreed to three days. After that, tell your realtor to bring the back up offer back to you...counter with "as is" and quick closing. Once you tell the realtor this, she will pass it to the selling agent and things should move along quickly.

6. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Terry has the right tactic. But don't ask for the backup offer until the appraisal comes back and see what the seller's do. If they start making other demands asking for the backup(s) puts the pressure back on them.

Now consider that if the appraisal comes back more than the selling price they may ask for other things (like new carpeting or insulated windows) but will offer you more money. It's just a tactic to get everything they want tucked into the mortgage rather than trying to pay for them out of their pocket after closing. Sent you a pm.

8. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mercy, I'd forgotten all about those folks buying our house trying to extend the due diligence period. Our real estate agent gave us that message and Howard said NO. They'd had two weeks before they even thought of having their inspector and bank guy come and we were down to the wire. Our agent went back with our message, and warning there were two other families interested in the house and she was ready to call them.

Selling houses is a pain in the sitter!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

10. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carolnnc View Post
    "No more money. Do you understand that I mean no?" "I'll be more than happy to tell you no in several languages if you really don't understand."
    Oh, this made me laugh!

My first house was a crappy fixer-upper. I later sold it on a contract for deed, and the buyer quit making payments. I had to go to court to evict him and repossess the property. He had trashed the place, so I was faced with a lot of repairs. The court proceedings dragged on for months. Between the mortgage, the repairs, and attorney fees, I was hemorrhaging money. In the midst of this, I found an investor who was a realtor and was planning to flip the house. In fact, he had a buyer lined up and sitting in the waiting room waiting for our closing to finish so that he could then complete the second sale. At the closing, I was surprised by some stupid charge that the realtor expected me to cover. It was going to cost me another $100. Not a lot of money, but I didn't like being blind-sided. Enough was enough. I refused to pay it and told the realtor he was going to have to cover it. They even called my attorney to convince me to pay it. Nope, I wouldn't budge. I knew he wanted to proceed to the second closing, and that I had leverage. He gave me a dirty look and grumbled, but he did pay.

Carol, I hope your sale proceeds without further drama, and that you can maintain your wonderful sense of humor throughout.

12. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

In the county where I live, one could expect to pay $500,000. for your property! It's beautiful. Stand your ground. Don't make any concessions! There are bidding wars in our area for properties, with people paying more than the listed prices on homes. The real estate market around here is ridiculous!

14. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carolnnc View Post
    The buyers asked the due diligence date be moved giving them another three days since the appraisal hasn't come through. DH said, "what the h_ _ _!" I told him to call the realtor & tell her it would be okay. After reading all the comments & advice from you I have come to a sense of peace, let go of my anxiety and found the strong woman in me who will say, "No more money. Do you understand that I mean no?" "I'll be more than happy to tell you no in several languages if you really don't understand."
    Bless you all!!
    Excellent stance. We might all be virtual but we are on your side. As a buyer myself over past years, I would never treat a seller in this way. Will look forward to reading how this situation comes out - sending you good thoughts.

NancyR

A little story.

When we moved to our present house, we'd undergone a year's refurbishment of our previous home. Gutted the ground floor inside, designed and built a new kitchen; I designed a "chef's" table which my husband built; also designed a fire place having this built by an artisan bricklayer who used hand made bricks; also designed a new dining room. A year later we had to move (husband's job) - we sold the house, this time without any issue (we thought naively at the time), to a couple who were professional interior designers.

Two months after we'd moved and were in the throes of fixing our aged, untouched-for-years "fixer upper" (yet more builders, dust and grit) - an old neighbour sent us a copy of the local newspaper which contained a double spread of our old house entitled "Home of the Month" showing the new owners sitting proudly in the dining room at a suite of furniture which exactly matched our own (at the time in storage). They'd had an exact copy of our chef's table made and had even used the same fixture in the ceiling for their utensil rack - an exact replica of our own. A photo of the fireplace also showed horse brasses the same as we'd hung including a traditional brass bed warmer. It was as though we'd left the rooms furnished rather than empty.

My husband laughed. I didn't.
    Last edited by NancyR; November 13th, 2018 at 07:48 AM.

16. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post