Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Home selling help! (long one)

Stick to your "no". They are just trying to get a few changes at YOUR expense.

2. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My first question would be who is this agent ... is she the buyer's agent, your (seller's) agent or a dual agent? Is the company her's; that is is she the Broker? It makes a difference to recognize where she's coming from. As a former NC Licensed Home Inspector I'd be interested in looking at the findings. I'll pm you later tonight and maybe help interpret what is considered necessary under the law.

4. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I've sold a few times over the years and the only time I have made repairs is when the item came up on inspection and the buyer wanted it fixed. All were minor / not safety related. My 2 cents - if any of the items on the list seem legitimate , and assuming it is legal to do so, tell them that the cost of any 'repairs' would need to come from the $3,000 closing costs but they can't have both. You are under no obligation to accept any of their conditions, especially for a beautiful house that you have other people interested in. Good luck!
    Slainte!

Liz

6. Thanks MSN, auntiemern, Carolnnc, Kgrammiecaz, auntstuff thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm of no help with suggestions..........just wanted to say you have a beautiful home and I love the deck and backyard.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

8. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We had a similar problem/situation with a young couple (many years ago). After making many concessions and throwing in all the appliances (including the w/d, d/w, stove and new fridge) they asked for a new roof on the unattached garage. The home inspection was perfect BTW. That is when I said: If you want to go back to the original offer and start over fine, or just take it as is right now. The two realtors decided to pay for the garage roof ($500) out of their commissions. If your realtor wants this sale bad enough she will do whatever it takes. Also we were told the buyers were preapproved, but found out they were not. We almost lost the home we wanted because of all the foot dragging. Thankfully it turned out well.

Keep in mind the realtor is supposed to be working for you and if she isn't I am sure there will be another that will be happy to help you. Also if you have any concerns your best interests are not being met, make an inquiry at the Board of Realtors. They oversee the agents and want to make sure they are doing their due diligence. You wouldn't take your car to a shoddy mechanic and you should view this transaction like that as well. Too many times we feel pressured buying/selling a home and it doesn't need to be that nerve wracking. You are paying dearly for a service and deserve the best. Our last realtor was perfect and very experienced and did everything to make sure it was as stress free as possible.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I hate to see someone being taken advantage of. Standing up for yourself is not being mean/rude. This is a business transaction and you have every right to be firm in your decision. Remember to breathe...everything will work out.
    Last edited by Granny Fran; November 8th, 2018 at 08:34 PM.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

10. Thanks auntiemern, Carolnnc, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at your listing. In your price point there are not that many great homes that are as nice and have great yards.
    Unless it is mandatory under NC law, like termite, forget it. Your realtor has the commission to work with for closing the deal. If she is not the broker, she will make $3K as the listing agent minimum. She represents you and should have already told the selling agent you were done when you conceded to the closing costs. Tell her to get some b***s and stand up for her client and not for her commission.

12. Thanks MSN, auntiemern, Claire Hallman, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    I looked at your listing. In your price point there are not that many great homes that are as nice and have great yards.
    Unless it is mandatory under NC law, like termite, forget it. Your realtor has the commission to work with for closing the deal. If she is not the broker, she will make $3K as the listing agent minimum. She represents you and should have already told the selling agent you were done when you conceded to the closing costs. Tell her to get some b***s and stand up for her client and not for her commission.
    Thanks Terry, It took your straight to the point remark to get Rick to completely understand what I'd been trying to tell him. Our realtor made me so mad that I hung up on her today. When it gets to that point I get bull headed and I WILL stop being nice and get my way.

14. Thanks MSN, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think enough is enough. You've already spent far to much. My feeling is people like that will never stop looking for every nickle and it will probably go on to the closing and counting light bulbs if you give in anymore. It sounds like you have plenty of people who are interested. So I wouldn't worry about that. As far as your agent is concerned, some of them forget who their client is as it gets closer to the closing. She needs to be reigned in firmly.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

16. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Frankly I'm a little shocked at how much you have already spent on repairs. Remember every dollar comes out of your downpayment on your next home. The agent is _supposed_ to be working for YOU, not the buyers. The agent senses that you are very eager to sell and you have probably already made that clear to her. So she is working you. Her tone is all wrong. All wrong. Believe me when I say that the agents are probably comparing notes and they have told the buyers how eager you are to sell. Now is the time to take a deep breath and total those repairs. Remind yourself that the offer was fair to begin with. Then ask yourself if all these people are using you at this point and no one is thinking of your best interest. Practice in the mirror what you want to say to your realtor and write it out if necessary. Call her and tell her your final thoughts. "I've made X dollars in repairs and the house was in extremely good condition before I put in that money. It's all I'm willing to do. If they don't want the house let me know it when the next showing will be by Sunday." Think of the broken record technique. "no I won't do that." "No, I won't do that." etc.

18. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

We have sold three houses in the last 20 years and I have never (and never would) spent all the money you have to get the house ready to put on the market. The only things we did was if the inspection found something that needed to be fixed. We have never had buyers ask for us to do anything. When your realtor is telling you what the buyers want ask her if she is going to take less commission. Bet she will change her tune then.

20. Thanks MSN, Carolnnc thanked for this post