Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quilting Quandary - Words

I am totally baffled as to how to quilt part of this project. First I ditched all the blocks and frames. The nurses I have echoed closely and tightly meandered the background, and that looks great! Iím doing looser spirals on the cap fabric, and Iím happy with that, too. My problem is the blocks with the word art. When I try to picture what it would look like quilting around the words, it doesnít seem like it will look right - kind of hokey. But Iím afraid that if I quilt over the words, they will lose their significance. The stark black and white contrast is also problematic; I have to use white thread, which is going to make an impact on the black lettering. Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to handle this? Has anybody done a similar project? Iíd love to see some examples!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20BAFE5B-1008-4DA3-9756-F28381DA020E.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	155900

Name:	54DD7973-72AF-4E47-969E-47E5010EE92E.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	155901

2. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilting Quandary - Words

I think if you stipple around the words, like you did for the background of the nurse, that will make them stand out fine without having to strictly outline them and no need to change thread colors that way either.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

4. Thanks Facefromthepast, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

firstly take the photo & print out ,then perhaps draw in pencil or sew with out thread through the photo round the photo writing.
    my first thought was speak clouds like in comics round writing, then echo that shape, but you could do
    large flowers
    stars
    hearts or any shape you feel happy with creating, its your quilt there is no right or wrong
    sometimes I look at the ms paint 3d program for shape inspiration
    happy stitching

6. Thanks Facefromthepast thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you can get on Pinterest, search for quilts for nurses and there's quite a few similar to yours. It looks like most of them just did a meandering squiggle thing right through the words, not outlining them and they looked fine to me.

8. Thanks Facefromthepast thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I did some lettering on a wall quilt. I outlined the letters in white, and didnít fill them in. It looks great, and yours will, too. Donít worry about using the white to outline. As long as you stay close to the lettering and donít get the white thread in the black, it will look just fine.

Name:	100A1B0A-5F34-4CC4-BEBA-2520204F8E41.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	155905