Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default FMQ ideas for a basket lattice pattern

I recently finished the basket lattice quilt top full of partial seams
    by Sheri Pape (I'm still talking to myself in unknown languages after that one). A similar design is here: https://www.bearpawquilting.net/modu...?classId=74822

I'm looking for FMQ ideas. I want to keep it very simple and have considered Stitch in the ditch around each black square but am not sure I can do that. If I did that, would I 'travel' between squares (not cutting the thread between them, or cut the thread and start over for each one? Each black square is approx 2 inches.

Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Donna

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FMQ ideas for a basket lattice pattern

Quote Originally Posted by Devchdm View Post
    I recently finished the basket lattice quilt top full of partial seams
    by Sheri Pape (I'm still talking to myself in unknown languages after that one). A similar design is here: https://www.bearpawquilting.net/modu...?classId=74822

I'm looking for FMQ ideas. I want to keep it very simple and have considered Stitch in the ditch around each black square but am not sure I can do that. If I did that, would I 'travel' between squares (not cutting the thread between them, or cut the thread and start over for each one? Each black square is approx 2 inches.

Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Donna
    Donna, if I were quilting that top and wanted to keep it simple, I would put a walking foot on and stitch in the ditch to enhance the look of the weaving. If you just stitch around the black squares, you will have to keep turning the quilt or do it all free motion. If you use a walking foot, you can ditch until you reach a place that “goes under,” backstitch, then hop over to the other side of the intersection and continue. Easier than going around each little square, and it will give a nice dimension to the quilt top.

3. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FMQ ideas for a basket lattice pattern

I appreciate that suggestion. I like it. I always forget about the walking foot.
    Thanks!!!