Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Borders

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Borders

Hi, I am totally new to this. I just made my first block and want to add a border. I watched a few videos and understand sewing on sides then top. One video however was different. She sewed the first a little away from the edge, then went around. Flipped it over and connected theedge.The two ways look different . I am trying to figure out, why she did it that way . What is the difference?Thanks, Nancy

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Borders

Also, one lady said to iron the seem open and another said to iron it to the dark side.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I am pretty new too.
    Was she centering the side then sewing from center out?
    My understanding is that the most important thing is to measure in 3 places and take the average before cutting the borders.
    Wavy borders are really difficult to quilt and it's supposed to limit the waves that way.

Pressing open or to the dark side is often a preference.
    For me pressing open is mostly when I am trying to limit bulk.

Not sure I helped but hope it does.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Can you share the link to the video showing the second method? It sounds like she used a partial seam but I'd need to see the video to know for sure.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

partial seam sounds like what it was. only used if necessary. if you just want "borders" , we call them sashings, you can add them onto sides and then top and bottom. press and make sure square. if you have a pattern, read it first and along with your cutting and sewing. have fun!!

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Nancy,

Welcome to the boards. We have all been the new person here so please feel welcome. Do have a link to the tutorials you watched? That might help with definitions and determining your goals.

There are sashings that go around the quilt block. They can added to the block with different methods.

Borders are usually added to each side plus the top & bottom of the whole quilt.

Binding is sewn all the way around the quilt after it is quilted. Lots of great information here and in the tutorials. Posters are always helpful too. Hope that helps!

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Relatively new here also. This video helped me with sashing.
    https://youtu.be/80vophinN9c