• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Georgie Girl
    The Guild President
    • Apr 2017

Stuffing

I 'm listing to the radio and suggestions from Butter Ball for making turkey. One was do not stuff the bird you will poison your guests. I've made a lot of birds in my 50 years of marriage and I know of no one who ever got sick from eating my turkey and stuffing. I know not to stuff ahead of time and you can make it in the crock pot but this was a surprise to me.
  • Monique
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2011

Re: Stuffing

I haven't poisoned anyone either.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• Star lover
      Missouri Star
      • Apr 2016

Me three!!

Comment

• Suzette
        Missouri Star
        • Oct 2012

Well, the thing is, there are a lot of cooks out there without the knowledge to stuff a bird safely. I think they just have to err on the side of caution and warn people about the possibility. To say it WILL happen is irresponsible, but it's good for us to know that it CAN happen if not done properly. My mom stuffed our turkey for all my growing up years, and never an incident. But she was a good cook and knew the right way to do it. I was friends with a lady on another quilting forum about ten years ago where a whole family in her town became sick after eating the stuffing from a turkey that was not done correctly. Sadly, it does happen.
        Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

• Rhonda K
          Missouri Star
          • Jan 2017

I like to bake it in a separate pan or even muffin tins. The top has a nice crunchy texture. It seems the concern is all about temperatures and the possibilities. I wouldn't change my methods if you like it baked together which is yummy too!
          Just one more stitch...

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
            Missouri Star
            • Aug 2015

I've always cooked mine separately as my family loves stuffing and I always double up on the recipe. I can always prepare it ahead of time and freeze it.
            Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• grammaterry
              Missouri Star
              • Dec 2015

There are some ridiculously bad cooks out there with poor hygiene and dirty kitchens. They don't wash their birds, they stuff them the night before and leave the bird on the counter to finish thawing. Yuk. Quilters are probably the top of the IQ chain as they have figured out math and concepts and they know how to think things thru. That being said...be careful
              success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
              Terry of NC

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                Missouri Star
                • Jun 2011

Stuffing from the bird tastes sooo much better, You do have to be clean about it and remove the stuffing before storing leftovers.
                I grew up in the south with a mother from NY so my stuffing tastes and that of my southern family differ therefore I try to make either two types of stuffing/dressing or just make them happy. This year I am trying something new, hope it is wonderful or I will have lots of leftovers.
                Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• MissMay in Jersey
                  Applique Angel
                  • Oct 2018

Ah, Home made turkey stuffing! Too bad my family never enjoyed it, they prefer the boxed stuff. Many years ago Uncle Ben did have one I liked that had rice and bread but it disappeared from the supermarket shelves.

It's surprising that many people don't know very much about preparing and cooking food. Just think how little this generation knows about cooking as most zap their food in microwaves or buy prepared foods. I bet very few know what a potato peeler looks like.

Comment

• kimsophia
                    Missouri Star
                    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by MissMay in Jersey View Post
                    Ah, Home made turkey stuffing! Too bad my family never enjoyed it, they prefer the boxed stuff. Many years ago Uncle Ben did have one I liked that had rice and bread but it disappeared from the supermarket shelves.

It's surprising that many people don't know very much about preparing and cooking food. Just think how little this generation knows about cooking as most zap their food in microwaves or buy prepared foods. I bet very few know what a potato peeler looks like.

Well, I'm hoping that is not true because of the ton of cooking shows on TV and tutorials online. I mean that's how I learned quilting, from Jenny, and I knew zip to start. So if they do want to learn, they don't have to have a parent or grandparent to teach them. They even have meal kits that arrive on your doorstep with all the ingredients so you don't even have to go to the store! I can watch cooking shows all evening, back to back, on the Create PBS channel. In fact I'm making one of those recipes tonight (Turkey Breast en Cocotte with Pan Gravy) as it sorta looks like the way my grandma made fried chicken in the oven. So there is a lot of education available...

Comment

• KPH
                      Missouri Star
                      • Feb 2015

I think a lot of people have hit the nail on the head. Not knowing how to cook safely, poor hygiene, and not cooking things to the proper temperature all are contributing factors to getting food poisoning. The media is big on sensationalism these days, you gotta make those ratings!

Funny this thread came up today, I cooked a turkey roast for dinner last night. I put that little thing in the crock pot and let it simmer all day. Then took some of the broth to make dressing. It came with a gravy pack. Silly thing never did thicken up like it should have, but it tasted great. Only thing left, half a pan of dressing and some gravy.
                      Katrina
                      From NC, retired in FL
                      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Working...
                      X