Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Serger thread question

I was given a whole lot of serger thread that belonged to my friends Mom.

I'm wondering, the cones (plastic) are breaking apart. Naturally, she gave me 4 spools of each color. So I have a shelf full of thread that's dropping the bottoms of the cones all over the place.

Should I keep it or let it go? Just to give you an idea of the age, some of the price tags are still on the wrapped thread... less than $2.

I rarely get the serger out. Is it worth the shelf space that all the thread is taking up?
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Serger thread question

If it is old enough for the cone to deteriorate then the thread probably is rotten as well. You might could use some of it to baste with but basting isn't done all that often in my world.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

It's OK to let it go. It is taking up valuable space on your shelf.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with previous posters. It sounds as though this thread is causing you more stress than it is worth, especially if you don't use your serger very often. Free up the shelf space for higher-priority items.

If it makes you feel better, think about your friend's mom and say a prayer of thanksgiving for the blessings she brought into your life before you pitch the thread.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I went through the whole lot of thread on the shelf. Pitched all of those that were crumbly coned and kept only the ones that were solid and stable. Then I pulled off all of the color labels on the shelf. Once that was done, I had enough room to put all of my 'short' spool threads in one 12'' square scrap book boxes. There was still room on the shelf for another stack of scrap book boxes. Its more compact and organized, which is what I really needed!

Thanks for the push to purge. I knew I wasn't going to use it, so why keep it. I went through the fabric Mel sent, I have a bag filled to donate to one of the quilt guilds that's close by.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

6. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

YAY for you! Sometimes less is more.
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I vote you toss it. If you do baste, you might be able to use it for that. Old serger thread is thinner than regular thread and will just keep breaking if you use it in your serger.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

To make things easier, do a thread test. If the cones are going, then the thread most likely is. This might take the guilt out of it! https://www.superiorthreads.com/educ...life-of-thread Long ago I read something .... cut it up and put it out in the spring when birds are nesting. If you are a walker, you might see nests along your walking path and find out which colors the birds liked best (tee hee - no kidding).
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown