Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Self binding baby blanket

Quote Originally Posted by KPH View Post
    I prewashed the flannel I put on the back of a quilt, but now I have a different question. It strung up so bad, that I'm wondering if I should have zigzagged the ends before I even washed it? Would that help keep it from making such a big stringy mess?
    Before washing, open up the folded yardage and put the cut edges together. Serge or zig-zag the raw edges together, creating a tube. After pre-washing and drying, you can use your rotary cutter to trim off the zig-zag stitching. I am a card-carrying member of the "pre-wash everything" club. This tip has really made a difference for me.

2. Thanks CraftyJnet, cv quilter thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I'm late to this party, but didn't see my method, so thought I'd add. I don't actually wash my flannel, I just use my "rinse" cycle using a bit of vinegar (it doesn't get so tangly), then I dry on "low". You really only need to remove the sizing, not actual dirt. The finished quilt top and back then shrink together very nicely.

Quilter's Rules:
    #1 Buy fabric - no matter how much you already have.
    #2 Sew all day and all night - no cooking allowed.
    #3 Start a new quilt before the last one is finished - must return to #1.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of making this but with that super soft fleece on the back. Its like minky but not as stretchy. I think it is 100% polyester. Should that be prewashed too??