Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default WiP Nov 2 - 8, 2018

Hello all, it's November! Our folks in Canada have had their Thanksgiving holiday; here in the US, our holiday is fast approaching. Then it's a downhill scramble to the winter holidays. Whew, I'm tired just thinking about it.

I'm not doing any quilts for gifts this year, but I did promise an knitted afghan to my daughter in law's mom. I need to get that underway. They go fast, but if I work too long on that type of heavy project, my wrists can get to hurting, so it's best not to do marathon knitting sessions.

Hope everyone has a great week. Please share your projects and thoughts.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WiP Nov 2 - 8, 2018

I have finished the binding tool star quilt and it is ready for gifting. Today I will sandwich a random top that has no particular purpose and I plan to practice lots of random things on it using a ruler and my new juki. I expect a steep learning curve but with no deadline I hope it will be fun.
    I want to practice so some [Thanksgiving on one side/Christmas on the other side] placemats can be quilted soon. That does have a timeline, lol.

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

No house showings this week so I made a lot of progress. The Boxy Rectangle using the double wide Dresden ruler completed is now up to 7 orange, 5 red, 6 purple, 9 green and 5 blue (with 4 more blue cut). With the blue and green blocks added in it is really looking cheerful.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4714.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	155814

I need 40 blocks total so I will be adding 3 yellow and 3 pink. I will have two blocks left over. I should start appliqueing the blocks to the background next week.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I can't seem to commit to sewing lately, maybe just in one of those blah moods.

I did buy the backing for my xmas quilt. It is red swirls. I wanted green but after searching at 4 LQS, I changed my mind about the colour. There is no time to order on-line, as I might not get it fast enough. I washed it and will press it today. I will be quilting it on Nov 21 at a LQS where I have rented the Amara for 2 days. I should have enough time to do the king and a smaller lap quilt without rushing.

I will have time Sunday to work on the advent calendars for the craft show. The main parts are done. It's those individual little pockets that are time-consuming.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of those Advent calendars panels that I need to dig out and make for the grands, I think they are old enough to enjoy it at 4 1/2 and almost 6.
    I did some ruler work yesterday and there will be a long learning curve for me to be good at it. Oh well, jack the ripper and I will get busy today.
    I think the quilt I am working on will have lots of different fmq on it, good for practice.

8. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've been working on the lime green stacked coin quilt. Order some lime green & turquoise perle cotton. So I hope to have it layered and ready to quilt for next week.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm working on one of my UFO's a log cabin in browns and cream for DH birthday in 8 November. Get half quilted and will get the rest done on Monday. My FMQ is not great but it looks good from a distance, especially if you squint hahaha!!

I'll finish the square in a square topper and put it away to finish next year. There's also a Dresden plate quilt topper to finish, just 2 blocks to sew on and the borders. That will also go away for finishing next year.

I've already got the backing and thread selected for my next UFO which is the double slice in Christmas fabrics, after that it will be courthouse steps, again in Christmas fabrics. It will be so nice to have quilts for us instead of giving away or donating them.

Hope everyone has a good week.

12. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I got all 42 Boxy Rectangle using the Double Wide Dresden ruler pieced from 10" layer cake squares. Even though the pattern said to just top stitch them down I was worried about the one edge that is just pressed under. There are eight places on the block where the edge is just pressed under, but not attached. Here is a picture of the backside. I put a yellow flat head pin where the pressed under edge is loose. I decided to be safe and glue it with Elmer's washable school glue.

Name:	100_4720.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	155897

Then I top stitched the block to the background fabric. I used the Elmer's washable school glue to temporarily hold the block to the background while I top stitched it down. I love this white cross hatching on a white background. One done, 41 to go.

Name:	100_4722.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	155898
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

14. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post