Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey ya'll from Mississippi

Howdy.
    Check out my profile if you wish, I don't mind. However I am taken.

Popping in/on from Mississippi.

We just recently got a Gammill long arm machine, and I've been learning how to do edge to edge quilting on it. I'm the main operator of the machine.
    My mom is sharing some of her 30+ years of sewing and quilting (tops) experience with me. We are attempting to get into the business of doing the long arm service for others locally.

So far after advertisements in 2 smallish town newspapers, one state bulletin, and a craigslist service ad, we have gotten zero emails, and zero phone calls.

I/we refuse to do facebook for personal reasons.

We would rather not do shipping/mail order for now (etsy, ebay, etc), but I'm wondering if we should consider it seeing as there has been zero local response to our ads.

This is all strange as I did do some calling around 2 months ago before we bought the machine and all the other long arm services were backed up through December. So, I'm stumped.

2. Thanks ktdid, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hey ya'll from Mississippi

I have no ideas to help you.....I hand quilt. But I wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum from Michigan!

Attachment 155812

4. Thanks Boondockslongarm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Wisconsin! Oh how disappointing for you, I can't imagine why you haven't gotten any responses. I am a hand quilter too so don't have any answers, just wanted to welcome you to the group.

6. Thanks Boondockslongarm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the group from Sunny Florida.

Maybe you could attend some quilting guilds in your area and share your new business with them. Make sure to set up at quilt shows in your area, too.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

8. Thanks Boondockslongarm, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I read your profile and had to laugh. If you don't pay attention it looks like you are wife hunting, although I see you are married. Don't worry about it, it's just my quirky mind.
    So have you put up posters at the senior center, library, fabric shop, grocery store (if you are in a small town like I am)? Also tap in to the gossip grapevine. Every town has one! Let the biggest gossip in town know what you are doing. Put an ad in the paper relating to Christmas presents.
    I wish you were close because I can't find a decent long armer. I had one but he died.
    Good luck and please keep posting.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

10. Thanks Boondockslongarm, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LauraP View Post
    I read your profile and had to laugh. If you don't pay attention it looks like you are wife hunting, although I see you are married. Don't worry about it, it's just my quirky mind.
    So have you put up posters at the senior center, library, fabric shop, grocery store (if you are in a small town like I am)? Also tap in to the gossip grapevine. Every town has one! Let the biggest gossip in town know what you are doing. Put an ad in the paper relating to Christmas presents.
    I wish you were close because I can't find a decent long armer. I had one but he died.
    Good luck and please keep posting.
    Hmmm, that is not what I expected as I was trying to be clear that I am not currently available! LOL, guess I failed on that attempt.
    Wish you were closer as well, (for the quilt I mean)!!!
    Well, there might be the shipping option in the near future.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just a warning, this is not the place for you to come and try to drum up business, as it would be in competition with M*, who provides this forum for us.

That said, go to your local quilt shops. The places here have a list of people that do longarm quilting on file, because not all of them offer that service in store. It seems those on the list are always busy with local orders. Also, if there are any quilt guilds in your area, it would be a good idea to contact them. I think most people would like doing drop off business with a quilter, rather than mail in, as it is always a worry when a top you worked hard on is in the hands of the postal service.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, that is not what I expected as I was trying to be clear that I am not currently available! LOL, guess I failed on that attempt.

You should just be glad that you didn't put shooting ahead of hunting or your wife would need to worry Like I said, I have a weird brain.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Also, be sure to always carry business cards with you. In addition to local quilt shops, my local monogram shop told me she often has people come in looking for a longarmer. She offered to keep my cards on file. Once people know you have a longarm, many will ask if you quilt for others. I have had folks ask for my card while standing in line at Joanns. If you make t shirt quilts, that's a good way to get started. It takes some networking.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Normally you can't just hang out a shingle and expect them to line up at your door. Join a local guild and become a part of the quilt community. Volunteer maybe and do a little quilting for free. Do some work the "Comfort Quilts" (or whatever they have) committee. The word will get out as soon as they figure out you're for real. Our "volunteer quilters" became busy with paying orders in no time. We are always looking for replacements. Us quilters are a skeptical bunch, which goes along with the years. But, once they get to know you, you'll be alright.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. This is just one good place to do a little schmoozin'. Someone here is local to you, or someone knows someone who is. It's a tighter knit group than one might think. Who knows when your name will get dropped. Good luck.

Which reminds me. What part of MS you from. My daughter-in-laws mother lives in French Camp. And, she's a quilter.
    Last edited by oldmanquilts; November 3rd, 2018 at 01:16 AM. Reason: added thoughts-
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-