Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hey ya'll from Mississippi

Quote Originally Posted by KarenC View Post
    Also, be sure to always carry business cards with you. In addition to local quilt shops, my local monogram shop told me she often has people come in looking for a longarmer. She offered to keep my cards on file. Once people know you have a longarm, many will ask if you quilt for others. I have had folks ask for my card while standing in line at Joanns. If you make t shirt quilts, that's a good way to get started. It takes some networking.
    Thanks for the ideas Karen. (Yes, we have talked about many of the things you and others mentioned, but our travel abilities have been limited, so we tried classifieds first.)

I never realized that M* was in the long arm service mail/shipping business. I thought M* mainly or only sold notions and fabric.

I went and looked through the site a bit more diligently and found the "quilting" thing and clicked through. It wasn't clear if they charged or not for the batting, or thread, but from what I ran through for a simplish swirl pattern, it seems as though it came out to .03 per square inch.
    Also in that section it showed they are expecting 10 to 14 weeks delay time right now as it's the peak time of the year (so it seems).
    Anyway, the main reason I posted on here was to express the Shock I have at not one phone call or email with moderate to heavy newspaper advertising, plus craigslist. It's like the whole world has stopped reading classifieds except for me....?

I guess I will have to make a plan B and C, then a D...then if still no customers, the gammill goes up for sale in the spring.

I should not be considered a threat as I made it clear that
    1. I am new to long arming.
    2. I have no plans to do mail order or shipping at this time.
    3. The max I could do is 2 simple quilts a day.
    4. All established long arm businesses are months behind.
    And....In your first 3 words to me was the word "Warning". Isn't that a bit harsh right out of the gate?

I thought a forum was a place to discuss many avenues and topics.
    Also, we are potential fabric / supplies customers. Just something to consider before pouncing.
    Last edited by Boondockslongarm; November 3rd, 2018 at 10:34 AM.

2. Thanks ktdid thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanquilts View Post
    Normally you can't just hang out a shingle and expect them to line up at your door. Join a local guild and become a part of the quilt community. Volunteer maybe and do a little quilting for free. Do some work the "Comfort Quilts" (or whatever they have) committee. The word will get out as soon as they figure out you're for real. Our "volunteer quilters" became busy with paying orders in no time. We are always looking for replacements. Us quilters are a skeptical bunch, which goes along with the years. But, once they get to know you, you'll be alright.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. This is just one good place to do a little schmoozin'. Someone here is local to you, or someone knows someone who is. It's a tighter knit group than one might think. Who knows when your name will get dropped. Good luck.

Which reminds me. What part of MS you from. My daughter-in-laws mother lives in French Camp. And, she's a quilter.
    French Camp is quite a ways north of us. We live near Raleigh MS. About 30 minutes south of Forest MS which is on I 20.

I didn't expect a mob with the ads, but I also did not expect zero response. Thanks for the welcome.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You went after the wrong Karen in your response above.

My warning was not a pounce on you. It was just an informational statement that there is no advertising for your business allowed on the forum.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=K. McEuen;1043574]You went after the wrong Karen in your response above.

My warning was not a pounce on you. It was just an informational statement that there is no advertising for your business allowed on the forum.[/QUOT

Is your name not Karen? If it is Karen, then yes, I did address the correct person.

I do stand my ground when I feel I have been wronged, or misinterpreted.
    Have a blessed day, Karen.

6. Thanks ktdid thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

This is an update, several months later from my last post on Nov 3rd 2018.
    A LOT has happened since then.
    First, my Mom was sick then with what we thought was a bad cold or a flu bug. We were wrong. On December 18th of 2018 she went into the ER, was in the hospital for a week and was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. That was our Christmas gift.

It was a long hard winter, spring, and summer. I and my wife cared for Mom at home. She chose not to go through with the Chemo, or Radiation "treatments". It was a terrible thing to see my Mom slowly fade away through all those months. However she never once cried or got angry. She did ask God "why me?" because she never smoked... But I saw God work through her and gave her courage to get through until the end. A Marine never had that much courage! (We are protestant saved Christians, me, Mom, and my wife.)
    On July 16th, 2019, Mom went home to be with the Lord.

Everything got put on hold. The quilt machine we bought, and continue to pay on has sat mostly silent since December/January. The Last quilt we worked on together was a King size for my youngest son and his wife, which he got as a gift in December.

So here we are. It will be 3 weeks tomorrow that my Mom has been gone. It's been so quiet and lonely here. I'm glad she is no longer suffering here. I know she is having a grand reunion even now up there. But I do miss her so much.

So no, I never came on here with the intent to "steal" customers. We wanted to do something together as a family and try to get a start somewhere. God had another plan for that time period.

Now we still have the machine. Plus all of Mom's sewing machines (Very good machines.) Tons of fabric, accuquilters, thread, computers, software, books, magazines, and her UFO's.
    I learned the quilting machine a fair amount last fall and winter. Enough to have made a start back then. But for sewing or taking up making quilts like how Mom did. I'm just not there.
    Now, am sort of lost, because questions I might have in the sewing or quilting area....well, the house is empty now. So much of Mom is everywhere. She LOVED to sew, (I think Mom loved even more just to buy fabric!)
    (My wife has little to no interest in sewing unless she "has to".)

Anyway, I needed to just post something somewhere. I know God hears my prayers, but it's hard for me to really hear him back most of the time.
    It would be awesome if I could meet someone who would like to team up or something. I hate to give up, but at the moment I'm semi lost.
    Mom helped us get this machine so it would help us down the road.

Mark

8. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, ktdid thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry for your loss but I bet your Mom is having a blast in Heaven. Don't you wish you could have watched her first tries at flying? Wonder how many loop-d-loops she did?

I hope you find someone to help you get back into quilting. Have you found a local quilt group? If not you might check with the senior center.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, my condolences to you and your family. I too lost my mother to lung cancer 5 years ago. She passed away only two months after her diagnosis, so I truly understand your pain.

My mother was also a passionate quilter and it was only after her passing that I really got into it, mainly because I promised her I would finish her UFOs. God knowsw
    that was hard, I cried thru many blocks, and would ask "Mama please help me, I don't know what I'm doing here". And somehow I always felt her next to me, guiding my stitches and knew that she was in heaven, she is also still with me. Since she passed away, I have made more than 50 quilts, bought several more sewing machines ( but mostly use hers) and even a long arm and am so blessed to have received my Mother's legacy of the love of quilting.

Sit quietly, talk to your Mom, she will hear and answer, you need but listen for her voice, not with your ears, but with your heart. She's always with you.

I pray that you too will find comfort and joy in your mother's legacy to you.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=K. McEuen;1043524]Just a warning, this is not the place for you to come and try to drum up business, as it would be in competition with M*, who provides this forum for us.[/QUOTE

My, oh my, aren't we being hypocritical, you said he wasn't allowed to advertise, that it would be considered being in competition wit MSQ. First of all he wasn't advertising, secondly, what do you think we do....we are always referring to another quilt shop / business to go there and buy fabrics etc., isn't that taking away business from MSQ as well. I don't like some one who says one thing and does another. I'm sure you'll be admonishing me, but have a great day anyway.
    Last edited by ktdid; August 6th, 2019 at 09:03 AM.
    When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline T. View Post
    Mark, my condolences to you and your family. I too lost my mother to lung cancer 5 years ago. She passed away only two months after her diagnosis, so I truly understand your pain.

My mother was also a passionate quilter and it was only after her passing that I really got into it, mainly because I promised her I would finish her UFOs. God knowsw
    that was hard, I cried thru many blocks, and would ask "Mama please help me, I don't know what I'm doing here". And somehow I always felt her next to me, guiding my stitches and knew that she was in heaven, she is also still with me. Since she passed away, I have made more than 50 quilts, bought several more sewing machines ( but mostly use hers) and even a long arm and am so blessed to have received my Mother's legacy of the love of quilting.

Sit quietly, talk to your Mom, she will hear and answer, you need but listen for her voice, not with your ears, but with your heart. She's always with you.

I pray that you too will find comfort and joy in your mother's legacy to you.
    Thank you for the well meaning words. (For my belief and what I have found so far, we are not to pray or talk to the dead, but to Jesus / God, and that I have done, and continue to do.) This could get sticky, so I just want to clarify where I am on it so I am not endorsing un-biblical behavior and not to mislead anyone.
    I'm striving not to make a "shrine" to Mom, but to cherish her memories. I'll leave it at that on talking to the dead, as I don't want to cause strife here.

I guess my main reason I came back and posted yesterday was just to vent, or to hear/read from others and not be quite so physically alone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, thank you for the gentle and respectful reminder to me that not all share the same beliefs, and that we should always respect another persons Faith. I hope you will accept my apology if I offended you in any way, I am truly sorry.

I'm glad you came back to the forum to reach out to others. While we aren't "physically" near you, please know that many of us are still here for you.

14. Thanks EnumclawGramma thanked for this post