Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hey ya'll from Mississippi

Quote Originally Posted by KarenC View Post
    Also, be sure to always carry business cards with you. In addition to local quilt shops, my local monogram shop told me she often has people come in looking for a longarmer. She offered to keep my cards on file. Once people know you have a longarm, many will ask if you quilt for others. I have had folks ask for my card while standing in line at Joanns. If you make t shirt quilts, that's a good way to get started. It takes some networking.
    Thanks for the ideas Karen. (Yes, we have talked about many of the things you and others mentioned, but our travel abilities have been limited, so we tried classifieds first.)

I never realized that M* was in the long arm service mail/shipping business. I thought M* mainly or only sold notions and fabric.

I went and looked through the site a bit more diligently and found the "quilting" thing and clicked through. It wasn't clear if they charged or not for the batting, or thread, but from what I ran through for a simplish swirl pattern, it seems as though it came out to .03 per square inch.
    Also in that section it showed they are expecting 10 to 14 weeks delay time right now as it's the peak time of the year (so it seems).
    Anyway, the main reason I posted on here was to express the Shock I have at not one phone call or email with moderate to heavy newspaper advertising, plus craigslist. It's like the whole world has stopped reading classifieds except for me....?

I guess I will have to make a plan B and C, then a D...then if still no customers, the gammill goes up for sale in the spring.

I should not be considered a threat as I made it clear that
    1. I am new to long arming.
    2. I have no plans to do mail order or shipping at this time.
    3. The max I could do is 2 simple quilts a day.
    4. All established long arm businesses are months behind.
    And....In your first 3 words to me was the word "Warning". Isn't that a bit harsh right out of the gate?

I thought a forum was a place to discuss many avenues and topics.
    Also, we are potential fabric / supplies customers. Just something to consider before pouncing.
    Last edited by Boondockslongarm; November 3rd, 2018 at 10:34 AM.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanquilts View Post
    Normally you can't just hang out a shingle and expect them to line up at your door. Join a local guild and become a part of the quilt community. Volunteer maybe and do a little quilting for free. Do some work the "Comfort Quilts" (or whatever they have) committee. The word will get out as soon as they figure out you're for real. Our "volunteer quilters" became busy with paying orders in no time. We are always looking for replacements. Us quilters are a skeptical bunch, which goes along with the years. But, once they get to know you, you'll be alright.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. This is just one good place to do a little schmoozin'. Someone here is local to you, or someone knows someone who is. It's a tighter knit group than one might think. Who knows when your name will get dropped. Good luck.

Which reminds me. What part of MS you from. My daughter-in-laws mother lives in French Camp. And, she's a quilter.
    French Camp is quite a ways north of us. We live near Raleigh MS. About 30 minutes south of Forest MS which is on I 20.

I didn't expect a mob with the ads, but I also did not expect zero response. Thanks for the welcome.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You went after the wrong Karen in your response above.

My warning was not a pounce on you. It was just an informational statement that there is no advertising for your business allowed on the forum.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=K. McEuen;1043574]You went after the wrong Karen in your response above.

My warning was not a pounce on you. It was just an informational statement that there is no advertising for your business allowed on the forum.[/QUOT

Is your name not Karen? If it is Karen, then yes, I did address the correct person.

I do stand my ground when I feel I have been wronged, or misinterpreted.
    Have a blessed day, Karen.