Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Talking New to this.... not sure if what I want to do will work....

I found a duvet cover that I love...I want to make it into a quilt. I was looking at batting and came across this:
    Pellon Natural Cotton Batting With Stabilizing Scrim Binder. I'm assuming this just keeps the batting from moving around?
    Then I found this: Spray'n Bond Basting Adhesive... which I'm assuming does the same thing.
    I have never quilted before....and I'm going to be doing this by hand....
    I would appreciate any feedback, instructions, advice you can give me!
    thanks so much!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New to this.... not sure if what I want to do will work....

Hello Tina, I'm not sure the answer to your question, but I'm sure someone does.
    I just wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum from Michigan!

Attachment 155761

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome from Canada. I have never used this product and I saw the many reviews on the Walmart website. It seems most people were happy with it.

I found a definition: Scrim is a very light weight binder that is added to batting for strength during the manufacturing process. Battings that contain scrim are generally more stable and have less stretch than those without scrim. Legacy battings with scrim binder allows stitched areas up to 8”-10” due to the durability of the added scrim.

I hand quilt and have had no problems with batting 'moving' as I quilt. Good luck. I am sure someone will come along with more knowledge than I have.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I have not used any "with scrim". I did read that scrim makes hand quilting more difficult.
    I did not see anything about what the difficulty is.
    It could be more difficult to get the needle through or maybe negative effects on the thread as it is pulled through.

Nothing said impossible to do by hand, just more difficult than without scrim.

Needle punched is supposed to be pretty stable.

5. Thanks DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tina,
    Welcome to the forum from Canada.

I haven't done one this way, but i have used a batting with scrim. I didn't notice any difference except that the batting didn't stretch or distort. This may be good. I am guessing that you are planning on stuffing it gently in the duvet envelope. You could use a temporary adhesive spray to hold the layers together. 505 spray can be repositioned and when you like its position, you can press it together for a stronger hold. Your other option to hold the layers together while you sew it, would be to pin with safety pins. Just be sure they are very sharp otherwise, they could leave tiny holes (they would dissappear when it's washed).

Another option to hand sewing would be to tie your quilt every 8"-10". This might be faster.

Good luck and don't forget to post your finished coverlet. Good luck.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Tina, Suzanne has given good advice. I have a friend that does beautiful hand quilting and she uses that same batting. No complaints with the quilting. The scrim is to stabilize the batting (hold it together) and the spray is to hold the batting to your quilt surface. Pins could also be used in place of the spray or you could baste it all together with thread. There are many videos on Youtube that show all these methods. I would keep it simple for your first project. Maybe make a small table topper or runner first to get acquainted with the process.
    Whatever you do, remember to enjoy the process. And welcome to the forum!
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

8. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tina, welcome to the forum from Spokane. There is always very valuable information on this forum. You will also have your local quilt store available to lend a hand with advice. Best of luck with your project. Gretchen

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am a hand quilter and do not like to use a batting with scrim, it makes going through the layers more difficult and the scrim dulls your needles so you have to throw the needles out even though they are not bent or broken. Some needles, like Tulip brand, are almost $1 apiece. I do use Roxanne's mostly, they are durable and not that pricey. I have never used spray on basting adhesive because seems to me it would gunk up your needle. My advice is to make a sample about 24" square, yeah you probably will not have a spare square of the duvet fabric but just try to find something a similar weight or thickness. Then use the spray adhesive and hand quilt it and judge for yourself if it is doable. Keep in mind if you are doing a full size, it will take a few hundred hours to quilt that, and if you run into any difficulty with your sample piece, you might want to rethink what is making it hard that you could change. Good luck. Let us know what you decide. And welcome to the Forum from Wisconsin!

11. Thanks MSN thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I specialize in Hawaiian quilting. I use Coats Cotton quilting thread, John James #9 quilting needle, and polyester batting low loft. Polyester will give you a puffy look where cotton batting is flat. I would never use a spray adhesive on something hand quilted. Keep us posted as you go along. Hawaiian quilts usually take a year to make.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Surfer Girl are you really on the Forum at 40 am????? Are you a vampire or something?!