Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Charity Quilt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	houses.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	155769

This quilt was made from left overs from my Farm Girl quilt. I actually made two of these throw size quilts and have so much fabric left I think I could make a couple more.

My daughter called me and said I need something for an auction at work. Can I have a quilt? I have never sold a quilt I just give them away. The auction was held on a work related trip and the other employees were the ones bidding . My quilt didn't go for as much as I had hoped but it was the highest sold item. Only 75$. She said just think mom you gave 7 people an eye exam. She also gets to pick where the exams are held and she chose an elementary school here in town.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Charity Quilt

ITs a lovely quilt. Its getting harder to raise money with quilts. There are so many charities out there and so many raffles of quilts. I was in town yesterday and went to 5 retailers and the library. I saw 4 raffles for quilts. One had two quilts in the mix. How many raffles would you enter in a month? So, that said, a$75 is a pretty good fund raiser and 7 eye exams are certainly worthwhile.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful quilt! And after all the proceeds went to a good cause.

Beth
    Happiness is a FULL bobbin!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It's beautiful, and giving eye exams is a wonderful thing. Some kids never have a chance to get anything but the basic vision screening.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately in my opinion, I think as quilters we have caused some of this ourselves. We do such beautiful work and donate quilts on a regular basis. Many are simply given to people in need. As a result, I think there are a lot of folks out there with quilts but no clue as to the value of what they have received or may be bidding on.
    I once donated 2 baby quilts to an auction fundraiser for a friend with cancer. I was devastated when they were put together as one item and a friend got both quilts for a total of $20, much less than what I had paid for the fabric. So, it all depends on the audience
    I've learned through this experience that once an item is gifted or donated, I need to remove any emotions as to what happens next.

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, auntstuff, MSN thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Karen but that doesn't take away from your kind gesture. I think you did a wonderful thing. I sort of pick and choose who gets my charity quilts and yes, once they've left my hands I have no control. The important thing to me is the act of being generous. Give and let go.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

On a more positive note ~ Don't look of the dollar amount look at the great value your donation has given to the community.

This will enable 7 children to have eye exams. The average minimum for even a chain store exam is $50 and more if other tests are needed. So the value of your work is actually $350.00 at a minimum. Additionally, any benefit a child will experience through identifying any early vision problem is priceless. I think that is a benefit beyond measure.

9. Thanks Claire Hallman, DeniseSm, JulieC, Star lover, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You did a great thing no matter what.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judy, USMC View Post
    On a more positive note ~ Don't look of the dollar amount look at the great value your donation has given to the community.

This will enable 7 children to have eye exams. The average minimum for even a chain store exam is $50 and more if other tests are needed. So the value of your work is actually $350.00 at a minimum. Additionally, any benefit a child will experience through identifying any early vision problem is priceless. I think that is a benefit beyond measure.
    Well said, and I certainly agree. The gift of sight is priceless.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

12. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Your quilt blessed many children and your heart will be blessed because of what you did.

14. Thanks DeniseSm thanked for this post