Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another binding question

I just put a binding on a quilt by machine. I stitched it up the front and then I stitched in the ditch to attach it to the back. It turned out pretty good. I have hand stitched all of my previous bindings but I really want to perfect being able to completely attach the bindings by machine. I friend suggested that I zag zag the binding on rather than the stitch in the ditch method. She said she uses the triple zig zag stitch. Any suggestions , tips, advice? Do you zig zag or straight stitch your bindings? What length and width settings do you use if you zig zag?

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Another binding question

I have never successfully machine stitched binding, but the longarmer that I use to use, for her quilts she used a surpentine stitch on her bindings. It really added an extra bit of detail to the quilt that I liked. Unfortunately my sewing machine is a straight stitch only, so I couldn't do it.

4. Thanks Ltoppins, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I can't seem to find success in the flip to back and stitch in ditch from the front, so I just reverse it. Sew from the back flip to front and then top stitch the front down. It does cause a line of stitching on the back but it is just on the back of the quilt and I can control the top stitch look on the front. Using a zig zag or decorative stitch on the front is also a nice look, quick way on baby quilts for a cute accent. My preference is a pattern of some kind on the backing, that way my oops and the extra line from binding tend to not jump out at the eye. When I do stitch from the front I will hand stitch the back of the binding.

6. Thanks Ltoppins, Sandy Navas thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

As Mimi said, when I machine sew the binding, it is first fixed to the back with a straight stitch. Then attached to the front with a decorative stitch, normally a herringbone stitch. I make my binding strips narrow and snug. I cut them 2" wide. This way, on the back the line of stitching lays on the edge of the binding.

8. Thanks Ltoppins thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A serpentine (wavy) stitch looks great on top. Jenny has a tutorial on this and she used a serpentine stitch

10. Thanks Ltoppins, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've only sewn a few bindings on quilts by machine. When I do, I attach it to the back and flip to the front. I have done a decorative stitch but this can take longer depending on the pattern. I like the straight stitch.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

12. Thanks Ltoppins thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I sew my binding to the back and then flip to the front and top stitch. I've seen the other method in a video but haven't tried it yet.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

14. Thanks Ltoppins thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have been sewing onto the front then flipping to the back and using a medium serpentine stitch usually but have also used other decorative stitches. Sometimes I use 2 1/4" strips, sometimes 2 1/2", I think I like 2 1/4" best and it saves a tad of fabric.
    I still occasionally hand stitch to the back if it is a special quilt that will not be washed a lot.

16. Thanks Ltoppins thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I attach binding using a 3/8 seam on 2 1/2 inch binding strips. It is easier for me to sew on the back and bring to front so I can see the stitch line.

When I stitch to front first and turn to the back, I seem to miss a few spots and have to go back over them. LOL.

You can make some small sandwich pieces and play with different stitches, lengths and widths to see which one works best for you. Write the information right onto the sandwich for later reference.

18. Thanks Ltoppins thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I machine stitch all my bindings. Using 2.5" wide binding strips, I sew it on the front first, using a 1/4" seam. I fold it over to the back. The secret is to use a sewing gauge & pin the binding the same width all the way around. I do SITD on the front, using a straight stitch at 3.0, & it catches it on the back very nicely. I rarely have to fix any spots, just maybe an occasional corner. You could practice on some sample sandwiches to get your technique perfected.

20. Thanks Ltoppins thanked for this post