Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quilt retreat is over, lessons learned

I went to my first in-town 3 day retreat organized by my guild. It was only 8 minutes from my house, so not far to go home at the end of each day.

While I booked it late, I still had a month to think of the projects I should work on. Well that was lesson #1 learned.
    Don't wait until the week of to choose projects. In my defence, life has been hectic of late, so I picked a M* pattern and jelly roll and cut the background fabric in strips. Easy right? Sure.

Lesson #2 - pack the night before. This is so not like me, but I did pack my machine, light, sewing tools 30 mins before leaving and did not forget anything.

Lesson #3 - drink plenty of water, and carry your meds ( headache or other). While I'd didn't require, my girlfriend started having an asthma attack and forgot her inhalers. Luckily, I had mine which is the same as GKs, so I washed the mouthpiece and she was able to breathe.

Lesson #4. Eat light for a week before, as you will be fed, morning, noon and evening, breaks and more. I ate, but I'm certain that I have gained weight.

lesson #5 - don't stress if your project isn't finished first day. I expected to be done the top in one day, simple pattern, but I didn't count on the cutting time for all the blocks.

It's over, and all my blocks and sashings are done, but I just need to place on my design wall and piece it and it will be done.

Will I do this again. Probably, but I think I might like an out of town retreat where I get to sleep in a beautiful vacation setting.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilt retreat is over, lessons learned

Happy to hear you had a good time! Retreats are like parties ... you can have a great time when you are among friends. And it's a nice way to meet new people who have the same interest. Now you have the experience of getting ready for one ... I'm sure you will enjoy going to others. And I agree, going to ones that are out of town are best.

3. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you need to come to "Buckingham Palace", awesome place. Glad you had fun just the same.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Monique View Post
    Yes you need to come to "Buckingham Palace", awesome place. Glad you had fun just the same.
    I would love to know about it. It's close enough, across the river, down the country road.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

My best piece of advice. Now that you have had time to reflect on what worked and what didn't, write a packing list for next time! And keep it in a journal or in a blog post or somewhere you are sure to be able to find it again.

Each time to go to a retreat, I refine my list a bit. I have one for needlework camp and one for quilt camp. (on both, clothes are at the bottom of the list LOL)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by threadbndr View Post
    My best piece of advice. Now that you have had time to reflect on what worked and what didn't, write a packing list for next time! And keep it in a journal or in a blog post or somewhere you are sure to be able to find it again.

Each time to go to a retreat, I refine my list a bit. I have one for needlework camp and one for quilt camp. (on both, clothes are at the bottom of the list LOL)
    Thanks, that is great advice. My tools and sewing gear are always ready to go on a moment's notice, just like my travel road trip list. You never know when a quick trip adventure comes up. My challenge was just picking one or two projects to work on.