Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frustated

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Frustated

My advice? (FWIW) Don't travel in the direction of thread breaks. At least not for very far. This "built in problem" is due to needle placement and threading direction. It will happen on your home machine in regular stitching mode as well when in reverse. Try backstitching around the perimeter of your quilt. Long runs in reverse, particularly at any speed over a crawl and you'll see the same thing. The thread simply won't nest in the scarf properly going in reverse.

Meander works because you don't travel far in any one direction. The thread has a chance to "organize" itself before breakage can occur. On a sit-down (mid-arm) it may help to turn the fabric slightly to get where your going so's you're NOT pulling away in a straight line from the threading direction.
    No- I'm not the test dummy for your dog's behavioral training class.

2. Thanks cv quilter, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

THANKS for all the advice!!! Gonna get "unfrustrated" and try the tips you've given me...thanks again!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jean, have you used your Singer S16-Janome 1600 clone on a frame? I have the Janome 1600 that I bought used with a Grace frame. I have not been able to use it - when I tried it made a mess and I just really have not had time to play with it. I did try using it as a straight stitch machine and couldn't get the tension right so am going to have it serviced. Don't know if the tension was the issue when it was on the frame but think it could have been - as well as operator incompetency.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwil23 View Post
    Jean, have you used your Singer S16-Janome 1600 clone on a frame? I have the Janome 1600 that I bought used with a Grace frame. I have not been able to use it - when I tried it made a mess and I just really have not had time to play with it. I did try using it as a straight stitch machine and couldn't get the tension right so am going to have it serviced. Don't know if the tension was the issue when it was on the frame but think it could have been - as well as operator incompetency.
    No, I bought my longarm several years before I bought the S16, so I have no reason to put the smaller machine on the frame. I'm sorry you are having trouble with the 1600, I have found mine to be pretty invincible with any task I throw at it, including sewing leather and vinyl purse elements. I hope you can get yours going. Do you have a Janome tech close by who could look at your machine?

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
    No, I bought my longarm several years before I bought the S16, so I have no reason to put the smaller machine on the frame. I'm sorry you are having trouble with the 1600, I have found mine to be pretty invincible with any task I throw at it, including sewing leather and vinyl purse elements. I hope you can get yours going. Do you have a Janome tech close by who could look at your machine?
    Jean,
    I have a Block Rockit and I have the same problem. According to the machine dealers I talked to before purchasing my machine, this is the norm for mid-arm and long-arm machines. I just don't chance it. When I get to the end of a row, I go back to the beginning and stitch to the right. Quilting on a frame with a mid-arm machine, is a whole new ball game for me and has been a huge learning curve. However, I have discovered that the problems I have had are usually due to operator issues not the machine.

Jan

7. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post