• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LauraP
    Missouri Star
    • Dec 2015

Good Morning All

I offered to take lunch out to my sil's house today so I'm up early getting the crockpots going. I am trying to use up what's in the freezer so we are having chilli rellanos, cranberry bbq meatballs for those non chilli fans and a mixed fruit triffle. She is making the creamed corn and rolls. We are getting closer to heading for Arizona.

DH is replacing the radiator in their 1936 tractor. This has been one of those 2 hour oil change repairs that has morphed into an all summer repair. I think he's repaired or replaced every major part on the tractor.

I should go into the sewing room and get the binding sewn down on the last quilt but I think I will go back to bed instead. This night owl doesn't do well with mornings.

"Lord, I hope today is good"
    sigpic
  • SuzanneOrleansOntario
    Missouri Star
    • Aug 2015

Re: Good Morning All

Good morning Laura and all who will follow,

I'm up early also to get back to day 2 of retreat. I couldn't believe it, but I stayed 'til 8:45 then drove one of the ladies home. I got all the fabric pieces cut and blocks done. Today I will square the 4 smaller ones that make up the block. It's the M* Ribbon star pattern. I will add my notes for squaring to the pattern. I haven't decided whether I will add the cornerstones in the sashing. At first I thought I would make the friendship star cornerstone, now I'm thinking not. Keep it simple. Get it done. I also brought the blocks for the Jaybird Boomerang. The blocks are done, I just need to sew them together. It will be a king size.

I have to say that I am enjoying the retreat more than I expected. The food. OMG. They keep taking it out, with loads of snacks. I guess I don't snack a lot.

DH was busy while I was away. He wrapped the hills of the catamaran and cut the grass, probably last time this year.

Enjoy your day. Stay warm. Stay dry. Be safe.
    Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• KPH
      Missouri Star
      • Feb 2015

Good Morning Laura and all that follow.

Sounds like you're going to have a busy day!

Yesterday, we picked up Hope's quilt. I cut the binding, pressed and sewed it all on. I finally love the quilt. I hope she loves it. I think the butterflies on the backing really pull it all together. I've never paid that much for a backing but it's a beautiful digital print. It's pretty enough to use as a top. The pillow cases go with both sides, top and back.

When I was ironing the binding, my Oslio iron decided it was time to do jumping jacks every time I put it down. Then it decided to stay down. Thankfully, the heat goes off when it does that! I know I've used the dickens out of the iron and there was a 60% off coupon at Joann's so I looked, sigh, the irons were already on sale. So, I'll wait a little longer. With the long arm fees and backing costs for two bedsize quilts this month, it's time to put the brakes on.

This afternoon, DIL's family and I are going to the Southern Women's Show. I'm looking forward to going, it's been a while since I've been out with just girls!

Prayers for those in need, for healing, comfort, strength, wisdom, and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.
      Katrina
      From NC, retired in FL
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• JCY
        Missouri Star
        • Jul 2013

Good Morning, Everyone ~ The promise of another beautiful day. It got up to 74 yest. I turned back the thermostat & opened a couple windows for a while. It was nice to have the fresh air. Also a great day for airing the pillows out on the line in the sunshine. I ended up doing 3 loads of laundry. I washed the rugs for the downstairs bathroom.

I made it to the sewing room & finished assembling that last block, laid out the 12 blocks on the floor & got 1 row sewn together. It's a 3 across, 4 down layout. The blocks are ~13-3/8" unfinished. I could have sewed longer, but I wanted to call my niece in TN before her bedtime (she's 2 hrs. later). My SIL has a lot of medical problems & is on a wait list for the nursing home. My niece is her caregiver. I also called my friend who used to live at an assisted living center here & moved to ID the end of Aug. She's not happy there. The Brookdale facility here had lots of activities for its residents, but they don't have such nice programs there. She said it's boring. I feel sad for her.

Today is our guild's annual quilt show. I didn't enter any quilts this year. I plan to go over this a.m. before the bed turning, which is scheduled for 10:30. Jeananne Wright will be displaying her antique quilts at the bed turning. This afternoon, our snow angel is coming by to replace a window well cover for us.

Have a great Saturday.

Comment

• JulieC
          Missouri Star
          • Dec 2016

Happy Saturday Morning, Everyone!

My sister and I had a nice, relaxing trip down to Amish country on Thursday. We only had a couple of hours in Berlin before we had to get back to Mom, but we enjoyed the trip. I bought a couple of fat quarters at a quilt shop, we had lunch, then checked out a general store. The GPS on my phone (Apple maps) gave us the wrong location for the quilt shop, but once I googled it we figured out where it was. The weather was perfect, cool and sunny.

Friday was moving day at work. Our building is under construction; I relocated back in May, now that office is being renovated. This is the last move until we move into the new building in August 2019. Our supervisor's assistant has been very...assertive...about how she wanted our temporary space laid out. We had a built-in kitchenette in the old space, our new space does not. We set aside an area for the coffee pot, microwave, water cooler and small, dorm-size fridge. There is only one outlet on that wall, and I pointed out twice that having so many electronics in one outlet would overload the circuit. The second time, she got rather snippy with me. Fortunately, the guys from maintenance had excellent timing, and came in to check on everything. She asked them about it and the guys agreed with me. We had to relocate the fridge and microwave. Sometimes happiness is being right!

Temps will be in the mid-50's today, with a chance of rain this afternoon. They are predicting snow for tomorrow, with highs in the 40's. Looks like my best chance of mowing the back yard is this morning. The sewing room will have to wait until this afternoon or tomorrow.

Have a great weekend!

Comment

• Monique
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2011

Good morning. It was quite the rainy blistery night. It is still quite windy out this morning. I accomplished a lot yesterday. I made into the sewing room. Was trying to make a needle case but the first one wouldn't work, so we started another from scratch. Happy with this one. I found the butterfly quilt that I am making for my sister-in-law's birthday in April. Picked out some borders. I may just bring this to retreat in November to get it finished. Laundry was washed and hung outside. With the warmer weather yesterday it was the perfect day to put away the lawn furniture amongst other things. Back to the sewing room to finish a simple paper piecing project. The finishing went relatively well, as I remembered what to do. I think I get it now but paper piecing is not my favorite thing in the world. I think this will turn into a hot plate pad.

I spoke to Bonnie yesterday. The meds are working but now she has an infection where the abscess is still draining. I have a list of things to bring her today. Not sure how long she will be in for. Thank you to all those praying.

I heard last night that a member of our little village passed away yesterday. He also had cancer and I don't know how he hung on for so long. His suffering is now over and may he rest in peace.

So it looks like I have a full day today.

Happy Saturday everyone.
            Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• grammaterry
              Missouri Star
              • Dec 2015

Yesterday I finished the embroider squares on my quilt and then I FMQ'd the rest. Got to the last four blocks and finished and turned it over and I had a pleat in the backing. It took 4 hours to take out 15 min. of FMQ. Today I will do the borders. I'm thinking of trying the embroider machine on them. I'm using this quilt as a practice quilt so I've tried a lot of different things. My centering was horrible. I learned that its easy to put embroider in the square and getting the quilt way wonky in the process. Not sure how to correct that except that maybe you can't just put the embroider in randomly. Maybe you have to do each block side by side and not leave all those spaces until later to fmq.
              Laura, my DH has a l951 tractor and he is fascinated that your DH has one older. DOes he use it daily or does he have another tractor.
              success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
              Terry of NC

Comment

• KarenC
                Missouri Star
                • Apr 2015

Good morning everyone. Finished borders on t shirt quilt yesterday. Was able to get a 5 mile walk in this morning before the rain came. Need to go work at church festival from 11-4, so hopefully the rain has cleared out. I guess I should get moving. Hope everyone has a great day
                Karen
                Spring, TX

Comment

• baslp
                  The Guild President
                  • Sep 2012

Good morning. We are heading to Chamberlain,SD to meet some family for an afternoon of hunting. The weather is great today. I want to go to a quilt store there while people are out hunting . I think that I will need another vacation to recover from this one.

Have a good day.
                  Beth

Comment

• toggpine
                    Missouri Star
                    • Aug 2009

It is supposed to be our last dry weekend of the fall, maybe the winter!
                    I have to move a bunch of hay up to the buck barn while I can. I shouldn't also clean the barns, but that may have to wait for after school this next week. We have school conferences, so it is early release all week. I finally have some comp time built up from trainings this summer, so I don't have to stay until the end of the day!

I have two baby showers coming up. One is Wednesday and the other is a few weeks off. I have the fabric for both diaper bags, now I just need to cut and sew them! The serger is set for trimming the snuggle flannel into super-sized receiving blankets.

I also have a new machine to play with. I know it's not a spendy model, but I needed a machine for my daughter to learn on. I bought the Brother quilting/sewing machine that Costco had on sale. I wasn't really thrilled with the LCD and electronics, but it had a bunch of options my Bernina doesn't. One of the best parts it that it feels lighter than Bernette, so if I'm travel sewing, I'll probably take it instead. Now I just have to find some space for it in the sewing room!

Have a great Saturday everybody!
                    Be who you are and say what you feel
                    because those who mind don't matter,
                    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

• Carolnnc
                      The Guild President
                      • Oct 2015

Late to the party but checking in anyway.

Today went sideways in a hurry. We were going to ride to Virginia to look around the town of Stuart. It has been pouring rain and the realtor called and need papers signed. Since I have a tooth that has the nerve dying and am feeling bad I didn't mind staying home. I think we'll plan to go in a couple of weeks. We have been struggling with DH leaving work the end of November or waiting until mid-January. I hate being in limbo so this morning I gave my best rational reasons for getting on with buying our next (last) home.

Not much quilting going on lately. Between house selling aggravation, feeling sad/overwhelmed and pain from the dying tooth I can't seem to find it in me to do much. I'm hoping a trip on Tuesday to JoAnn Fabrics will cure some of the blues.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Prayers for Bonnie.
                      :icon_happy:

sigpic

Comment

• LauraP
                        Missouri Star
                        • Dec 2015

Terry, the tractor is dh's sisters. She is one of those people who leaves it where she ended the last job and never bothers to put a can over the exhaust pipe. Drives my husband absolutely nuts! He is a "put it in the machine shed" type. They use this tractor for mowing the fields.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X