Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fabric Depot is closing :-(

The brick and mortar location for Fabric Depot in Portland, OR is closing effective 5PM on October 21st. They are having a 40% off everything sale. I'm still trying to confirm what this means for their website presence - today their website won't return anything as being available for purchase.

I live in the Seattle, WA area and even though I don't go to Portland a lot...every time I do go to Portland I spend lots of cash at Fabric Depot. I am trying to determine if it's worth the 3 hour drive for one final shopping trip - I heard their stock is already pretty low....probably been preparing for the closing for some months now.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fabric Depot is closing :-(

I was told they are closing completely, internet and store. We will have to see how it all plays out I think since they were denying two weeks ago they were going to close.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

3. Thanks lmanna thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lmanna View Post
    The brick and mortar location for Fabric Depot in Portland, OR is closing effective 5PM on October 21st. They are having a 40% off everything sale. I'm still trying to confirm what this means for their website presence - today their website won't return anything as being available for purchase.

I live in the Seattle, WA area and even though I don't go to Portland a lot...every time I do go to Portland I spend lots of cash at Fabric Depot. I am trying to determine if it's worth the 3 hour drive for one final shopping trip - I heard their stock is already pretty low....probably been preparing for the closing for some months now.
    My email says sale for in store only. ;-(

5. Thanks lmanna thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Their website says their online business is already closed.

7. Thanks lmanna thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We were in Oregon mid July on vacation and made a point to go there. I was totally unimpressed and felt it was a waste of our time. There really wasn't much quantity/selection. Now I am wondering if this was why. Maybe they had already stopped ordering and stocking.

9. Thanks Jean Sewing Machine thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A gal on a forum I belong to was there today. She had to wait 15 minutes for a shopping cart, shopped for a couple hours and the cutting line was forever. The checkout was just as long, about four hours for both. She left without getting anything.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lmanna View Post

I used to live in Portland and spent a lot of time (and money) there so I was really saddened to hear they were closing. A good friend of mine went there yesterday hoping to avoid the craziness of the weekend. She said she could barely find a parking spot. And if you've been there you know they have a pretty big lot. They even had someone directing traffic in the parking lot. She said the lines were horrendous and she ended up not buying anything. She had mentioned earlier this summer that they had already really reduced inventory. It was great while it lasted.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

My niece took me there in 2016 when I went for a visit. Such a great store with an incredible selection. I could have stayed in there and wandered around for hours. Very sad - I hope the owners are going to have an awesome retirement.
    Gaye

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by birdscraps View Post
    I hope the owners are going to have an awesome retirement.
    Prior to owning Fabric Depot, they used to own Fabricland. I know it was in Washington at several locations, but other than that I am not sure it was outside the state. That said, they have been in the fabric business at least 50 years or more. I think they deserve a retirement!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Today is their last day! Their selection and customer service has declined in the last couple years, to the point that I say, Good riddance! In that time they haven't made any attempt to make us feel like they deserve, or appreciate our business. Sad- especially for the employees. The owners? Who cares? They ticked me off for the last time several months ago.

It's a sign of the times, and not just in the fabric business. Brick and mortar stores are losing out to the interwebz sellers. I'm guilty of purchasing online, but when customer service and price is important, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I do like to feel the fabrics though. So... I've had to "learn" how to shop JoAnns. It's not too bad, but some stores are better than others. Speaking of JoAnns- for those of you in the Portland area, the location in Hazel Dell (Vancouver) does the best job for quilters IMO. For us Oregon residents who aren't accustomed to paying sales tax they make it easy. They have an app and scanner right at the register. Scan your license and bang! Tax is immediately deleted on your purchase.

I don't think there is much we can do to change retail trends in the fabric business, but I try to to support the locals when I can. I went to Mill Ends yesterday. Really not sure how they survive.

Speaking of local stores... There are a couple that I love to shop, but their days are numbered as well. The owners are getting up there in years (just like their customers.) LOL! And there's no line of potential buyers lining up at their door. One- in the Portland area is Country Manor, hallway between Vancouver and Battleground. You gotta go at least once to see their madness! Second (for when I'm in the Tacoma area) is Train Fabrics. Surly old gal owns the joint, and it's an absolute hoot to shop there. They even make their own shopping bags in the back room to take your purchases home. Support them while you can cuz they won't last forever.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-