Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default fmq pools of water

I have recently finished a binding star quilt top in blues, aqua and greens and think quilting it with a water motif would look perfect. I have only done a little "water" on a panel so don't know how to go about it on a big quilt.

Should I start in the middle and go left to right and down the quilt having all the lines go sideways over the whole quilt?
    Anyone tried this on a sit down machine and do you have advice for me?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: fmq pools of water

It's been a while since I did the water motif, but I think I started in the middle, quilted towards the edge, came back to the middle & back & forth till a quadrant of the quilt was done. Then you can reverse the quilt & do the same back & forth FMQ. I used it on a baby quilt that had a frog sitting on a log in the middle of a pond; it was a panel quilt. I'm sure you'll find it among my albums. I'll go look for it, then come back with the title of the album.

P.S. The album is called The World of Susy Bee, Feb. 2016. I did the water FMQ just in the green fabric. I custom quilted the pictures in the boxes, & used a dif. pattern in the border.
    Last edited by JCY; October 18th, 2018 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Additional Info.

3. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I started in the center edge of the longest side of the quilt, quilted down about 15" and then to the right and back up to the edge, then back down, and then back over to the center. As you go along you will get the hang of where to go next. Would like to see a pic when you finish. I did mine on a sit down Sweet 16 long arm.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF924528-94E0-4BA1-BF1F-8B53D2CAEF83.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	155648
    If this is the type of “water” you’re talking about, I did this on my longarm, as I wanted it to look like there was water on the road. it would work on a sit-down machine, too. I started on one side and finished on the other.

6. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post