They only exist because Post messed up a marketing campaign.

When 1964 began, Kellogg had no plans to make Pop-Tarts. But then, arch-rival Post announced an exciting new product. It was a fruit-filled pastry that wouldn't spoil and didn't even need to go in the fridge.

Post botched the product rollout in two major ways. One: after promising the pastry, Post took months tinkering with it in the lab, allowing Kellogg plenty of time to concoct its own version. Two: some Post exec decided to name the things "Country Squares." Sounds dumb now, right? In the '60s, "squares" were also "dweebs," so customers immediately thought of lame bumpkins, making the name even more disastrous. As you'll see in the ad above, Post tried to rechristen them "Toast'ems," but it was far too late.

Attachment 155614

Kellogg’s tested the pastries in the Cleveland market in late 1963.

Warhol influenced the name. Not wanting to repeat Post's "Country Squares" fiasco, Kellogg turned to a hip cultural scene for name ideas for its new product. Specifically, Andy Warhol's Pop Art Movement.

The first flavors were Strawberry, Blueberry, Brown Sugar Cinnamon, and Apple-Currant. That Apple-Currant changed quickly, though, as Kellogg soon discovered that no one knew what a currant was and switched the flavor to "Apple-Berry" instead.

Attachment 155616

Milton the Toaster was the original spokesman. Before it had those cartoons that scream, "Craaaaazy good," Pop-Tarts employed Milton as its pitchman. Milton was an animated toaster.

Attachment 155615

There used to be Grape and French Toast flavors.

Unfrosted Pop-Tarts Pack More Calories Than Frosted Ones.*Frosted strawberry Pop-Tarts contained 200 calories each, while the unfrosted versions were a stouter 210 calories a pop. How could skipping the sugary frosting result in a more calorically dense breakfast treat? The crust on unfrosted Pop-Tarts is just a little bit thicker than it is on their frosted brethren, which results in a net gain of calories if you grab the seemingly healthier option.*

Attachment 155617

Bonus video: How the filling is put into Pop Tarts

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NlvDgTZN8c..._school_16.gif

I never ate any of these. My mother wouldn't buy them. But I do remember the TV ads.....and mmmmm, I so wanted them! Today.....don't care if I ever have any.