Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sunday Good Mornings

Good afternoon all. The weather has definitely changed here. Last week I was still wearing short sleeves, capris and flip flops. Now it is long sleeves, long pants and socks and shoes. Plus, a heavy sweater to wear in the house. It is quite chilly right now --- and cloudy so no sun to warm it up and I really do not want to turn on the heat yet. Since my husband passed away in March, my daughter and son-in-law have been coming up and mowing the grass for me. I am beginning to think about snow and what to do with that. My DH has a snow blower in the shed, but it is too big for me (I can barely grip the handles of it). He told me to trade it in on something a little smaller, but not sure I want to spend the money right now. My daughter and SIL said they will come up and do the snow for me, but they have their own place to take care of and, since they are still in their early 30's, they both work all day. Last year, some of the neighbors did my snow when Ron was in the hospital, but now he's gone and I am left with this to do myself. A friend told me to start looking for someone I can hire to do the snow, but I really have no idea where to start. I don't really like the idea of using something like "Angie's List". I started that when I was looking for a concrete contractor and you have to put so much info in, and I don't really want to get a zillion calls --- get too many junk calls now. There doesn't seem to be many kids left in the neighborhood --- fewer school buses coming through and those look pretty empty -- and I don't see many kids out playing.

Oh well. Guess I will eventually figure this out --- hopefully before winter is over.

Have a great day -- at least whatever is left of it.

Nancy

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The family drama finally worked itself out.
    The kids lied to us. Not everything was OK. They also told the other grandma not to "tell". (We had a talk about that, and decided Moms need to know things and we can overrule in certain instances.)
    The doctor cut the baby during the c-section. They tried the butterfly strips to close it, but it wasn't holding well. They had to put in stitches and gave the baby morphine. That sent her to the NICU for the night while that worked out of her system. While that was happening, DIL was having some bleeding problems. They pulled her back in to the OR to remove a huge blood clot.
    Our son decided he didn't want to tell us any of that via phone or text. I do believe he now understands that the only reason his father and I carry these annoying electronics is for precisely THAT kind of communication.
    All of the girls are now doing well. They were working on getting Raelynn Grace to eat. She thinks about it, then naps.

We have the grandson here with us watching the Seahawks/Raiders game. Then we are headed outside to shift some of the goat kids around to new pens. There will probably be some playing with the dogs and chasing the turkeys around. Then we'll head back to the hospital to see everybody and return the grand kid.

On our return trip I'll see if I can get the family to detour to the fabric store to see if I can find the Solarize fabric for the lunch bag pattern I want to try with the after school sewing class. (I guess if I'm driving, I get to say where we stop!)

I have the second half to go figure out how to download audio books to my new MP3 player. A fair amount of my audiobooks are now coming on MP3 discs instead of CDs. Now I can listen to a book while I clean the barn or use the weed whacker to clear the fence line. Multi tasking!

I hope you all are having a fabulous Sunday!
    Last edited by toggpine; October 14th, 2018 at 03:46 PM.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Nancy,
    You might call the local high school. Sometimes they will post jobs like that in the counseling center, or they may know of a kid who could use the job.
    If you are on Facebook, we have a local page and we can post requests for help with jobs like that. People can recommend folks who have done a good job for them. It can get kind of snarky at times, but mostly it's helpful information.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Nancy,

A lot of lawn care companies do snow removal in the winter. Or, if you have a senior center where you live, they should be able to recommend a couple of people. The senior center where I live has a social worker on staff who sent us a list of referrals for all sorts of things -- yard work, grocery delivery, gutter cleaning, etc. You could also ask around at your church.

7. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

GOOD AFTERNOON! Finally up and dressed as I slept the morning and part of the afternoon away, feel like I'm coming down with a cold. Don't feel like eating but have had a few cups of tea, not only does the tea taste good but the steam from the mug seems to be opening up my nose. Certainly don't feel like eating let alone cooking so DH & DS#1 will have to fend for themselves. Pantry and fridge are a little bare so they can go through our restaurant gift cards and order something for themselves. Only requirement is that they keep the tea pot filled and warm for my supper, hmm some buttered rye bread toast might be good also.

Hoping everyone is feeling much better than I am and you're enjoying the fall leaves and flowers, so colorful a sight.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fall bouquet.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	155579
    Last edited by MissMay; October 14th, 2018 at 05:00 PM.
    MissMay AKA May in Jersey

9. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

toggpine, I have tears in my eyes for your baby granddaughter! I hope her injury wasn't anything that will cause further problems for her. Poor little thing! Love her name. Hope everything else goes well.

11. Thanks toggpine, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cokie View Post
    toggpine, I have tears in my eyes for your baby granddaughter! I hope her injury wasn't anything that will cause further problems for her. Poor little thing! Love her name. Hope everything else goes well.
    I agree...poor little sweetie. I hope she's well on the mend and gets to come home soon. I also hope your DIL is doing fine.

13. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Cokie;
    I already gave in to today's DD. I've been trying not to buy fabric for new projects but I absolutely love today's line. I used Kansas Troubles fabrics for most of my first quilt project for a beginner quilt class and fell in love with that fabric line.
    ![/QUOTE]

I also caved in and got today's DD. While these aren't my usual colour choices, I fell in love with Kansas Troubles fabrics this summer after we visited the shop and met Lynn Hagmeier. B love the quality of fabric and softness of flannels.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Toggpine, I hope your granddaughter is more alert and doing better. As far as the kids, geez, they think they're protecting us but digging their own holes.

When we lived in NC, my oldest would call with every bad thing.... car wrecks, getting mugged, etc. Now that we're down here, I hear when he wants something, or to keep the kids. Go figure!

I really hope turns out well for the young family. That's a lot of stress on them too.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

16. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post