Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default WiP Oct 12 - 18, 2018

Hello, all. It's a cold and rainy day here in Kansas. I did NOT want to leave my warm, cozy nest of quilts this morning. Fall is here with a vengeance. We may even get snow this weekend! I was hoping for a long, warm fall since we got next to no spring. Looks like Mother Nature is continuing to disappoint (sigh).

This weekend, I will be working on getting the finishing work done on the four little needlework projects from the stitcher's retreat last week. Using some pretty fall fabrics on three of them, but still not a lot of quilting in the offing.

Thank you, kimsophia, for kicking off the thread when I was on vacation last week without internet access! I appreciate the help.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and keep us posted on your progress (or lack thereof).

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WiP Oct 12 - 18, 2018

This is the end of week two of having my house for sale. I could not handle having my sewing machine put away and broke down and got out a folding plastic table to sew on. I can put it away quickly to show the house. I decided to work on the Boxy Rectangle pattern by Me and My Sister designs using their 36 degree Double Wide Dresden Ruler.

The first challenge was their unusual sizes and that you need a huge variety of fabric. I challenged myself to resize the block to work with layer cakes, or 10" squares. The original design said to cut the blades 3.5", 5.5" and 7.5". After experimenting with paper templates to get the most use out of the 10" squares I settled on blades 3.25", 5", and 6.25".

Take 3 10" squares and make a single cut to get a 6.75" x10" piece and a 3.25"x10" piece. From each 6.75" piece cut two 6.75" blades. From each 3.25" piece cut four 3.25" blades. It is tight but it will fit.

Take 2 10 "squares and make a single cut to get two 5" x 10" pieces. Cut three 5" blades per piece. Tight but it will fit.

The five 10 "squares cut as shown above will yield enough pieces for three boxy rectangle blocks.

The finished size of the resized block is 15" x 7.5" which exactly fits the 2:1 ratio to make the rotated block in this pattern.

Pretty clever, right?

Here is my first finished block. I love all the geometric shapes in this block. You will need 40 blocks for this pattern.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4705.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	155533
    Last edited by DeniseSm; October 12th, 2018 at 04:42 PM.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

4. Thanks pcbatiks, Granny Fran, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

DeniseSM - I have the sisters book with the pattern. I find them all so pretty and got the ruler and some of their fabrics. It's on my wish list to make.

Yesterday, we went to a LQS about an hour away. I booked their long arm for 2 consecutive day in mid November. I also fell in love with a purse sample. The bottom portion is separate from the main bag, and you can reverse it. They were offering a class, so I am booked the same week as LA rental. I might look to stay at a B&B as its over an hour away. Here's the pattern.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	155545

Today, I went to my GF and quilted a lap quilt for Victoria quilt. The Janome 1600p and grace frame resided with another group for the past 10 years, and it was offered to other groups. My GF took it, so we are learning together how to use it. I did this one with simple meander. The throat plate is about 9" so there was a lot of rolling of the bars. Hopefully she will gain confidence on doing FMQ and we can finish the 25+ tops that we have waiting to be finished.

I plan on sewing tomorrow or Sunday, whichever day it rains, the other will be to continue clearing the yard waste. Then I will go to my GF on Wed to quilt another top. I am going to a retreat next Friday to Sunday, so I will have to pack & prep my projects to work on.

Happy quilting everyone.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome, threadbndr. I was enjoying being under my fake fur backed creation this morning as well. I laundered it and four of the hexagons popped open. I had this problem with it before and I must not have sewn those seams well enough. I'm not good at piecing so it kind of surprises me that none of the strips or cornerstones or any other parts fail in other areas, but only the hexagons. Anyway, I appliqued them shut with invisible thread.

Currently I am making more felt toys, this time felt fish that will have a washer sewn inside that you catch with a magnet on the end of a toy fishing rod's string. It will be interesting testing it at home. lol I hope its not too fun to gift away

7. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ooh kimsophia I am so interested in that fish project you are working on. Sounds perfect for xmas present for my 3 and 5 yo GD. Can you point me in the right direction for the pattern?
    Otherwise I have been working so hard on my current project a king size quilt that I am in the process of hand quilting. The blocks finished at 6.5 inches and I am quilting four mini orange peels in each block. It is all batiks in deep blue and purple. I sectioned it off in quarters marking the top by pinning long selvedge strips side to side and top to bottom so I can quilt a quarter at a time. I have almost 1/4 of it done but it will take awhile. My brain is already ahead of me and I am dreaming in my head of what I will make next. That's not good because I can only work on one thing at a time so I will not be able to scratch that itch for a few months if you know what I mean! I had my heart set on a beautiful Fons and Porter pattern but it takes special templates that are no longer available at f&p and not on Amazon, or ebay, etsy, or craigslist. I even posted an SOS on the Forum but nobody apparently has them either. I was surprised as the magazine pattern was not that old, 2017. Oh well.
    Denise, what were you a mathematician in a previous life or something?! How you were able to adapt your pattern to maximize your layer cakes just boggles my mind. I would have just thrown in the towel and picked a different pattern! Guess I am either just lazy or very under confident ( or realistic) about my math abilities which are pretty much a big zero.

9. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    Ooh kimsophia I am so interested in that fish project you are working on. Sounds perfect for xmas present for my 3 and 5 yo GD. Can you point me in the right direction for the pattern?
    I did not use a pattern. I looked online for felt fish I liked. This page had the most interesting ones. https://www.etsy.com/listing/2034887...-magnets-coral

Since I can't draw, I used control and plus keys to enlarge them on my monitor and traced around them with some freezer paper held up to the screen. After glue basting them in place with some craft glue dried overnight, I used embroidery floss to stitch the felt stripes and eyes, etc. onto the base felt shape. I've found that if you use a lot of glue it's hard to get a needle through. I'm waiting on the magnets to arrive...there are two kinds of magnets these days, ceramic and neodymium. The neodymium are more powerful, so I ordered some small refrigerator magnets of them. When they arrive, I'll see how well they work with washers at the hardware store since apparently stainless steel washers are not as magnetic as plain steel washers. I'll also see if the magnetism works with a little piece of cotton batting in the fish. If that doesn't work I'll use a bit of polyester craft filling. Or, none at all.

For the fishing rod I ordered some cheapo unfinished maple wood drum sticks on eBay.

I'll leave it to my friend to determine when her kids are old enough not to disassemble the fish, swallow and choke on the washer inside, or swallow the magnet, or strangle themselves with the string, etc. because I'm sure this is a hazard for very young children. I will be machine sewing the fish together and I don't think felt would be attractive to chew on.

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I continue my search through my stash for 6 coordinating pieces of fabric (fat quarter or larger) with which to make fall colored placemats. I have plenty of browns, some gold, and a bit orange, but not much of a variety. I still have one more bin to look through, and I will see if there is anything in the Halloween line that would work as well. Meanwhile, the sewing room is getting messier as there are all sorts of fabric all over the place right now! And .... I found more scrap material! That is all!
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

13. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post