Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Thread: Jumbo Rick Rack

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jumbo Rick Rack

Has anyone every added jumbo rick rack to your quilts? If so, did it shrink? Best way to attach it?

Opinions......like it....yes....no....maybe?
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Jumbo Rick Rack

I have used it in one quilt. It was quite awhile ago so things may have changed but after a few washings the rick rack was quite wrinkled . Gretchen

3. Thanks pcbatiks thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it shrinks actually but it does get kind of wonky looking. I love rick rack tho and it comes in so many sizes and fun colors now. Maybe better to use in wall hanging, something that doesnt get washed much. Plus a wall hanging can be pressed with an iron which you can't really do with a quilt. Maybe check out some Lori Holt designs or Piece O' Cake? I guess its possible to sew 2 lines of stitching to prevent it from wrinkling or folding up. Pinterest might be a resource, zoom in on some photos to see how it's stitched down. Good luck! Let us know if you discover any secrets to doing this.

5. Thanks pcbatiks thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen it used in primitive quilts. Some uses are as flower and vine stems. Also seen it looping around on borders. It depends on the look you want as to how to attach it. If you like the look of the edges curled up then only sew a line down the center. If you want a more controlled look you can follow the zigs and zags or for most control you can go down both edges. I've seen the more narrow used in pastels on baby quilts and gives a very sweet look.

7. Thanks pcbatiks thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I had some jumbo rick rack and intended to put in on a quilt made with small squares. i soaked all the different color rick racks, then laid them all out to dry. Unfortunately I never finished that quilt and recently gave it all away. I am fairly sure all would have been well since i did "wash" them to deal with any shrinkage.

9. Thanks pcbatiks thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I sew the ends together and wash it first. When applying, I use a washable glue stick, and actually sew both edges down. This is what it looked like after washing, and itís still going strong.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D8F6CDC7-DDAC-4F37-B69D-632DFF5B4473.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	155546

11. Thanks Kgrammiecaz, pcbatiks thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cindirae View Post
    I sew the ends together and wash it first. When applying, I use a washable glue stick, and actually sew both edges down. This is what it looked like after washing, and it’s still going strong.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D8F6CDC7-DDAC-4F37-B69D-632DFF5B4473.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	155546
    I do it this way also. Makes a nice addition to a quilt. i used it on a child's flannel quilt. Kathy

13. Thanks pcbatiks thanked for this post