• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lmanna
    Missouri Star
    • Feb 2014

Diamond Painting quilt ?

I recently started a new craft: diamond painting - and find it super meditative and addictive. Here's a link to the basics: https://www.herrschners.com/topic/in...nd+painting.do. But.... I want to merge it with my love for quilting and convert it into a small wall hanging - maybe add a border of "filler" quilt block units. Has anyone done this or have any ideas on how to approach it? The painting is done on some sort of canvas like material.

Below are links to my current WIP and my completed painting:

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by lmanna; October 11, 2018, 03:47 PM.
  • KPH
    Missouri Star
    • Feb 2015

Re: Diamond Painting quilt ?

How pretty!
    Katrina
    From NC, retired in FL
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• mrsg730
      Batting Beauty
      • Dec 2011

I tried diamond painting and really enjoyed it but didn’t know what I would do with the finished “painting” so I only made two had planned on framing one and hanging it, but I like your idea much better. I’ll keep eyes on this thread for ideas too. You painting is very nice.
      Happy Quilting :)
      Evelyn

Comment

• MissMay
        The Guild President
        • Jul 2017

Really interesting technique, love the Van Gogh one as he's one of my fave painters.
        MissMay AKA May in Jersey

Comment

• Bubby
          Missouri Star
          • Jun 2011

This art craft has been calling out to me for some time. Am I correct that you don't add diamonds to the entire pictures, just the detailed areas? I love yours.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• cv quilter
            Missouri Star
            • Feb 2015

Your Van Gogh painting is beautiful. Not sure my hands could work with those tiny "diamonds".
            A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

• jjkaiser
              Missouri Star
              • Oct 2013

I like your painting but I am confused about what this is. Do you get a blank canvas with the outline, say a tiger or something, that you then paint following a color chart? Or is the whole image done by gluing colored diamonds down? I confess I blew up your picture and pinched it every which way on my touch screen and could not see any diamonds anywhere, or anything remotely sparkly.
              Jocelyn
              South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• lmanna
                Missouri Star
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
                This art craft has been calling out to me for some time. Am I correct that you don't add diamonds to the entire pictures, just the detailed areas? I love yours.
                It really depends on the painting - some of them are what's called "full drill" meaning the entire painting is filled with diamonds and others are what's called "partial drill" meaning only certain areas are filled with diamonds. Both of mine are full drills.

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                I like your painting but I am confused about what this is. Do you get a blank canvas with the outline, say a tiger or something, that you then paint following a color chart? Or is the whole image done by gluing colored diamonds down? I confess I blew up your picture and pinched it every which way on my touch screen and could not see any diamonds anywhere, or anything remotely sparkly.
                It's basically counted cross stitch but instead of filling in via thread you fill in via diamonds. In fact, for a lot of the kits they use the same numbering scheme for their colors as DMC embroidery floss. SO basically, there is a picture drawn on the canvas and marked with different symbols for different colors. There is a key that comes with the kit to tell you which symbol correlates with which color and then you just glue down the drills accordingly. Apparently you can buy a blank canvas/grid and make your own design - I will likely try that at some point.

Pictures definitely don't do them justice. The diamonds are very tiny and are multi-faceted so they are in actuality quite sparkly.

Originally posted by cv quilter View Post
                Your Van Gogh painting is beautiful. Not sure my hands could work with those tiny "diamonds".
                I think you'd be surprised - my Mom and grandmother are even doing them. You really just use a "pen/tool" thing to pick up the diamonds and place them on the tacky canvas. I would say though that a lightbox is a HUGE help....IMO kind of like rotary cutter to quilting - it's not 100% necessary but certainly makes the job a lot easier and more enjoyable.
                Last edited by lmanna; October 12, 2018, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• tesspug
                  The Guild President
                  • Mar 2013

I would think it would be easier to sew on borders before you finished the edges. Is there any way to put on some kind of wax paper on the edges to protect the sticky stuff, sew on the border and then take off the wax paper and finish gluing on the diamonds. Now that your edges are done maybe just carefully sew on your border making sure you don't hit the diamonds with your needle.
                  Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Comment

• tesspug
                    The Guild President
                    • Mar 2013

The web site says this "Displaying Your Finished Artwork

Diamond painting designs are a great way to add a bit of pizazz to your décor. You may come up with ideas of your own, but here are a few options to get you started:

Frame: This is the easiest option. Remove the glass pane from the frame as it will dull your design’s sparkle.

Wall Hanging: If you have simple sewing skills, you can easily create a fabric wall hanging with your design. Pick out a coordinating fabric to create a border and backing for your project.

Pillow: Depending on the size of your design, it could make a fabulous new accent pillow on a chair or sofa. Pick out a coordinating fabric to create a border and backing for your pillow and stuff with fiberfill or a pillow form. Please make note of the care instructions at the bottom of this article if using this option.

Book Cover: Finished diamond painting designs can also create unique and flashy school supplies, photo albums, and scrapbooks. Trim the finished design as desired and adhere to flat, smooth book cover with double-sided foam tape. You could also use hook-and-loop tape to make your diamond painting designs interchangeable!"

Comment

• tesspug
                      The Guild President
                      • Mar 2013

I don't know anything about this company, but just saw this. Everything is on sale. https://paintwithdiamonds.com/index

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
                        Missouri Star
                        • Oct 2013

I always find "new to me" types of crafts fascinating. I like what you've done.

I've seen many "Starry Night" fabric panels on the net, so there should be plenty of coordinating fabrics you could use for borders or various sashings. I can see the borders being creatively quilted and acting as the frame for the wall hanging.

Can't wait to see what you do with it.
                        https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                        Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• Bubby
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jun 2011

I am intrigued with diamond painting and I've looked at hundreds of designs online. I thought it might be something Jeff might enjoy doing. I have a couple of questions: Do you need to buy a lot of gadgets to do this? Does the background material have to be taped/secured to the place where you make it? Is it portable?

Your picture turned out fantastic. I saw a kit of The Kiss by Klimt that I would love to make. It's weird but I x-stitched it and gave it as a gift and I would love to have one for us that wouldn't take months to make.

Thanks for posting and for your inpput.
                          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• laura44
                            Missouri Star
                            • Mar 2014

I love diamond painting. Michaels, JoAnns and Hobby Lobby sell the kits
                            but I buy most of my kits on Ebay. Comes as a picture that is tacky, has a clear
                            film you peel back as you work on it. Comes with a "pen" and a small square of wax
                            that you stick the pen into so the "diamonds" will stick. Kind of like paint by number.
                            Super easy, portable, very addicting, cheap to expensive. Some of the little diamonds have
                            a sparkle to them so the picture has a little bling when looking at it. I like the idea of a diamond painting quilt!
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by laura44; March 20, 2019, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X