Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thursday Trivia: Palindromic

Who doesn't love a good palindromic place name? A word spelled the same forward and backward.

The people of Ada, Oklahoma, sure do (as do the folks in Ada, Minnesota, Ohio and Oregon).

The world's northernmost palindromic place might be Qaanaaq, Greenland, formerly known as Thule.

Which is the most fun name to say? Let's call it a tie between Kinikinik, Colorado, and Anahanahana, Madagascar.

Wow!!!!!
    Anita

2. Thanks grammaterry, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thursday Trivia: Palindromic

Humm….wonder who was in charge of finding those names. I think town names are pretty weird anyway. Like, here in our county we have Marshall and MarsHill. Nobody thought those were pretty much the same? and street names...in our county we have three towns and in those three towns we have streets that all have the same names...longbranch, silvermine, back street, ….with all the letters in the alphabet, you would have thought people could do better than using the same names 10 miles apart.

4. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thursday Trivia: Palindromic

There is a tiny community near me named Ono. Wikipedia says it may be named after the biblical place of Ono according to local history. I've never heard this.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

6. Thanks Star lover thanked for this post