Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    9 Patch Princess

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Water soluble stabilizers

    I am not very good at free motion quilting without drawing my design first on the quilt top. When the fabric is too dark I have been using golden thread paper, then tearing away.
    Not real happy with the tearing away part.Soooo I was thinking, can you draw on water soluble stabilizer, then just wash the quilt after.

    It may seem a bit expensive, but I think the time savings would be worth it to me. Has anyone tried this method, and what are your thoughts.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    The Guild President

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    739
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Water soluble stabilizers

    I have not tried that method but just throwing this out there have you thought about using the Ultra Clean Crayola Markers to draw your pattern then wash it away?

    If you do a search you will see where several use them with good results to mark our quilts, I have never had any not wash out. The only one I haven't used is the red, only because I haven't made it past the gray, pink, blue & black yet.

  3. #3
    9 Patch Princess

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Water soluble stabilizers

    Quote Originally Posted by Carah View Post
    I have not tried that method but just throwing this out there have you thought about using the Ultra Clean Crayola Markers to draw your pattern then wash it away?

    If you do a search you will see where several use them with good results to mark our quilts, I have never had any not wash out. The only one I haven't used is the red, only because I haven't made it past the gray, pink, blue & black yet.
    Thanks for your help, I had heard about these and then forgot. Senior Moment. I will have to check if they have light colours. I ran into problems with frixion pens and a dark floral I was quilting.

  4. #4
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    4,317
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Water soluble stabilizers

    I used the Sticky Solvy stabilizer once for a very dense and complicated design on a block. It was great for following the design during the fmq work. I found it was difficult to get it to rinse out though. This was probably because the stitching was so dense. Soaked and soaked, then soaked with Soak. Then soaked again and used some Dawn on a soft toothbrush to gently try to remove all the stabilizer that was still there. The ink seemed to stay in the thread and changed the color of the block a bit at the densest parts. I won't do it again. If you are not using a dense design it might be ok. But since that time I have stuck with using Clover fine point washable marking pens and not had a problem. Agree the Frixxion pens are terrible if you have a dark fabric. I have ruined a piece with the Frixxion pens. Never again.

  5. #5
    9 Patch Princess

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Water soluble stabilizers

    Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    I used the Sticky Solvy stabilizer once for a very dense and complicated design on a block. It was great for following the design during the fmq work. I found it was difficult to get it to rinse out though. This was probably because the stitching was so dense. Soaked and soaked, then soaked with Soak. Then soaked again and used some Dawn on a soft toothbrush to gently try to remove all the stabilizer that was still there. The ink seemed to stay in the thread and changed the color of the block a bit at the densest parts. I won't do it again. If you are not using a dense design it might be ok. But since that time I have stuck with using Clover fine point washable marking pens and not had a problem. Agree the Frixxion pens are terrible if you have a dark fabric. I have ruined a piece with the Frixxion pens. Never again.
    Thanks for reply. All opinions help. I have trouble seeing the blue washables on dark floral I was using. Maybe I will have to try again.

  6. #6
    Designer Diva

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Posts
    426
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Water soluble stabilizers

    Debbie,

    I used a piece of thin WS Topping by Floriani to do some FMQ on a pillow. It helped me with the design and after about 10 minutes I was good to go on my own. You might try it to get started on the quilting.

    Here is a link for you.

    https://rnk-floriani.com/products/Fl...oluble-Topping

    It is originally used for machine EMB and typically lettering designs. It was what I had on hand to use. I used a frixon pen to draw the meandering on the WS topping. It tears away pretty easy and doesn't pull the stitches.

    If you are interested I can mail you a sample to try first.

  7. #7
    9 Patch Princess

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Water soluble stabilizers

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
    Debbie,

    I used a piece of thin WS Topping by Floriani to do some FMQ on a pillow. It helped me with the design and after about 10 minutes I was good to go on my own. You might try it to get started on the quilting.

    Here is a link for you.

    https://rnk-floriani.com/products/Fl...oluble-Topping

    It is originally used for machine EMB and typically lettering designs. It was what I had on hand to use. I used a frixon pen to draw the meandering on the WS topping. It tears away pretty easy and doesn't pull the stitches.

    If you are interested I can mail you a sample to try first.
    Thanks, for the offer but I have a bit and will give it a try

  8. #8
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    4,317
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Water soluble stabilizers

    Quote Originally Posted by debbie1952 View Post
    Thanks for reply. All opinions help. I have trouble seeing the blue washables on dark floral I was using. Maybe I will have to try again.
    For the dark fabric portions if I need to mark them I just use one of the General quilter's pencils, either silver or white. They are not made with waxes, so they brush off easily or you can use a gum eraser. I've also used the Clover chalk pencils and they work well too. I did try the Clover white water soluble pen, but the one I got didn't seem to work too well. And I felt it was expensive. Hope this helps.

  9. #9
    The Guild President

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Marylands eastern Shore
    Posts
    852
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Water soluble stabilizers

    If by some chance you work in the medical field - I use that paper they use on exam tables. Draw on your design (it is nice and wide so you can do a large portion of the quilt at a time), spray a little adhesive on the quilt to hold it in place. I don't have much trouble tearing the paper away and because it is so thin, any small remaining pieces fall off when it is washed.
    Debbie

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •