Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quilt kits

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default quilt kits

I generally do not count quilt kits as UFO’s, although I know some people do. I am a sucker for quilt kits, though! I buy them when I see the glorious quilt completed and hanging on display, thinking I will definitely make this one! Truth be told, I have made over 100 quilts in my life, but I have yet to break into any of my pre-packaged quilt kits. With alll the video tutorials and precuts, I am more likely to break into that when I need some low stress sewing. I was cleaning my sewing area and I have challenged myself to start in on some of those adorable quilt kits.

Anyone else have this problem?

I am going to addend my “finished is better than perfect “ group list to also include a quilt kit list. That means I need to clean my sewing room!!

So now I will have 4 working lists...
    UFO’s
    Quilt tops that need quilted
    Quilts I Want to make
    Quilt kits
    Happy Quilting!

2. Thanks sewbizzy, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: quilt kits

I have two kits that I know are over 25 years . . . does that count?
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

4. Thanks dwil23, bhaggerty thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. I guess I'm a rebel. I never buy quilt kits even if I like the display one.

Having said that, the first few months that my DH & I were quilting, the Gravity quilt kits came out. We each bought one but we also signed up for the classes. He made his according to pattern. I made mine bigger, King-size, and tweaked the 3 blocks that were not symmetrical.

I have added a new list. Distraction items / quilts. Items that were on mone of my lists, but completed. These can also be volunteer and donation quilts.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

6. Thanks bhaggerty thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't count kits as UFOs either, they are stash just like any FQ, jelly roll, or layer cake because they can be used for almost any type of quilt.

BUT...once I make that first cut of fabric for the kit, then it becomes am in process project (or UFO if I put it aside)

I don't currently have any kits in my stash, but I do have one kit quilt top in my UFOs, just waiting for quilting (along with 10 other flimsies).

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have never bought a kit:
    1. I have never seen one yet that I completely liked the pattern AND the fabric.
    2. I would worry that if I messed up cutting something I would run out of fabric and wouldn't be able to put it together.
    3. I would consider it a UFO if it was started but abandoned.

9. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve only bought one kit. I don’t know where it is. That’s all I have to say.

11. Thanks dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't buy kits, either. But...years ago when I was first on this forum, someone posted a picture of their quilt they entered in the fair and I fell in love! The pattern was no longer available, but I thought, "I can figure that out", and proceeded to surf all over the internet looking for the fabrics. I found almost all of it and invested a huge sum of money, especially since I had to pay shipping from multiple sources, and probably over ordered some because I wanted to be sure I had enough. While looking for that last elusive piece I needed, I found the kit, including the pattern for about $70. I had spent soooo much more than that! Not to mention time searching. At least that shop also had the pattern individually so I ordered it.

And how did the quilt come out? Hopefully I will be able to tell you - if I ever get to it.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't ever bought one. I won one... I split it up and used it in different quilts. I make kits for myself... and do work on those. They are great to take on retreats.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I have two kits. One several years old and now the one I got for free when joining Bluprint but lik jjkaiser I too am afraid of messing up and not being able to finish. Like kensington I too have thought about using the fabric for my own quilts but always decide against it because truth be told I would really like to make a quilt from a kit, even if just one, so I keep the kits in tact.

I do not consider them UFO’s because until I start them they are just fabric (stash) and patterns.
    Happy Quilting
    Evelyn

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't buy kits as such, but I'll buy all the fabric needed for a specific pattern (usually from a tutorial) and call that a kit and store it separate from my stash. I must have around a dozen, I really must make a start on those. I don't call them UFO's as I haven't started cutting and sewing.